Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanswoods_gw

Source for native azalea seeds

susanswoods
17 years ago

I would like to try growing east coast native azaleas from seed but am really stumped trying to find sources. I did find Sheffield's and have ordered some vaseyi and calendulaceum but hope very much to find some of the following:

canescens

atlanticum

periclymenoides

arborescens

prinophyllum

prunifolium

cumberlandense

I saw a couple of the azalea/rhododendron societies have members-only seed exchanges, all closed for this year anyway. Are there any commercial sources? Anyone you know who has some seeds and would be willing to sell them? I haven't tried through the seed exchanges here because at the moment I don't have anything to trade and don't see any listed as available.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (6)

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Azaleas are rhododendrons. The Rhododendron Species Foundation sells rhododendron seed.

2525 South 336th Street, Federal Way, WA 98003

Located on the Weyerhaeuser Corp. HQ Campus

Phone numbers:
    Seattle 253-838-4646
    Tacoma: 253-927-6960
    Gift Shop: 253-661-9377

rsf@rhodygarden.org

They can be found at:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron Species Foundation

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

I noticed that the RSF doesn't have much if any native azalea seed. The best way to get such seed and good advice on how to grow it is to join the Azalea Society of America. I sounds like they would be a good group for you to join anyway. Many of their members live near you. They have an annual seed sale.

The Azalea Society welcomes membership by anyone interested in azaleas, from all cultures and disciplines. They invite those who wish to learn, and those who know and wish to share their knowledge.

Membership is $25 per year.

Bob Stelloh, ASA Treasurer
    65 Sierra Drive
    Hendersonville NC 28735-7963

They have chapter meeting. There is a Virginia Chapter at:

Northern Virginia Chapter
    Leslie Ann Nanney 703-644-5651
    8646 Tuttle Road
    Springfield VA 22152

Chapters provide meetings, lectures, seminars, plant sales, auctions and exchanges, and fellowship at the local level. National membership includes membership in one of the local chapters, with At-Large affiliation for those members not joining a local chapter. Guests are always welcome at the local chapter meetings.

The Azalean (ISSN-1085-5343) magazine is the journal of the Azalea Society of America. One of the major benefits of membership, it is published and mailed to the members in the spring, summer, fall and winter of each year. Each issue is 24 pages, 16 of them in color.

Each spring, one of the local chapters hosts an annual convention to immerse members and friends in a long weekend of azalea activities at a national level. They feature tours of excellent local gardens during the day, renowned speakers each evening, and ongoing sales of azaleas and companion plants.

The 2007 convention, Azaleas in the Pines  A Texas Garden Party will be held in Nacogdoches TX on March 29 through April 1, 2007. See some of the many beautiful public and private gardens in the area, hear talks about azaleas and rhododendrons, meet your far-away gardening friends again, and get some rare azaleas and rhododendrons for your garden.

Future conventions:

Scheduled future conventions include:
    Year City Chapter Contact
    2008 Asheville NC Vaseyi Ed Collins
    2009 Fairfax VA Northern Virginia Dan Krabill

Members frequently share seed, cuttings, and plants. It is a great way to get different selections from different areas. There are different colors of many of the species. Some species are very diverse. ASA members delight in finding the different forms and sharing them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joining the Azalea Society of America

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

I have what I believe is r. canescens and it looks like it has 1-2 seed pods forming. You are welcome to have these seeds if you want them. I have a picture of the plant in flower that I can send you.

• susanswoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you esh_ga, I would love to have the pods. Shall I send you a stamped envelope? If they're just forming it may still be a couple of weeks until they ripen. If you would like to contact me, my email is shagen@shentel.net.

Many thanks,
    Susan

• tyeriver8
    17 years ago

susan;
    i have lots of 05 pink native azalea seed if you send me a sase.
    addy on my member page.
    littlepath

• susanswoods
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>Thank you! I'll send you an envelope.
    Susan
    >
    > susan;
    > i have lots of 05 pink native azalea seed if you send me a sase.
    > addy on my member page.
    > littlepath
    >
    > tyeriver8
    > _______________________________
    >

Sponsored