Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog chewed new Rhodie down to nubs

Posted by lovetogarden z4 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 14:10

My friend came over with her dog and I allowed her dog to go into my yard with my dog. Problem is I didn't know that her dog would target 2 of my plants - one an azalea and the other a beautiful white rhododendron. The azalea still has some foliage on it so I'm hoping it will recover, but the rhododendron just has 2 little nubs sticking up out of the ground. Is this plant a gonner or will the root system send up new growth? Anyone with info please advise. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog chewed new Rhodie down to nubs

It probably will send up new growth. If it does it now, the new growth is unlikely to survive a Z4 winter, however. You can try putting up some burlap screening, covering it wth evergreen boughs and hoping for either deep snow or a mild winter. Even if this years new growth is winter killed, there may be more next spring. Maybe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here