Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea?

Posted by punkin_tb (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 26, 06 at 14:14

We moved to southern Louisiana in April. Our house has a plant on the south side that I think is an azalea. It never bloomed so I'm not sure. While weeding I found out it was still in the pot. It's grown to over five feet high and spread out. Would like to get it out of the pot and into the ground but don't know what the correct time for doing this would be. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea?

If it is an azalea, now is a very good time. Azaleas can be moved most any time, but when dormant is the best time. Be careful not to disturb the roots too much or let them dry out.

This plant has a potentially serious problem when the roots reach the container and start circling inside the pot. They become pot bound or root bound. These roots must be cut so they don't continue to grow and start strangling other roots. Many apparently healthy plants die when the roots start strangling each other. To prevent this, it is necessary to remove the plant from the container and cut the roots from the soil surface to the bottom at several points around the root ball to cut any of these circling roots. When working with roots, make sure the plant is thoroughly watered. Any roots that dry out will die.

Then spread the roots out before planting. Water thoroughly after planting and for several weeks until the shock of transplanting wears off.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here