Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hino Crimson Size Question

Posted by Towsonite none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 14:30

Bought Hino Azaleas from Lowes recently since they were listed as growing 5' x 5', but everything I'm reading says they grow much, much lower. Are their sub-varieties of the hino that will actually get that big or do you think I'm just a victim of bad information on a Lowes label?

I almost always double-check whatever their labels say, but, of course, one of the few times I don't this happens.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hino Crimson Size Question

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 7:40

I have some about thirty years old that are about four feet high.
When I first planted them I had no idea they would get that large.
I'm deciding now whether to prune them back or move them further from the walkway. I'm favoring the latter.
Mike

o

5'x5' is maybe a bit generous but the plants can easily get to 4' tall and spread a lot.......6' is common in my area. Exactly how big they might expect to grow would depend on your location - in the PNW, virtually all rhodies and azaleas will achieve maximum sizing if grown to their liking :-))

o

Here is a real Hino Crimson mess! I let it grow here much too long. Now it's time to move em' and clear this area out so I can see what to do with it. Way too crowded now.
I like plants growing together as opposed to a collection of individuals as is most commonly seen, but this is a bit too much.
BTW Gardengal48, do you know the difference between Hino crimson and Hino degiri? (sp?) I sure don't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here