Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea in a Pot

Posted by chiz965 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 15:59

I was given an Azalea, my first, and because of lack of sun, except on my deck (4 hrs in summer) and at the recommendation of a nursery I transplanted into a pot 26"w by 18"h, about 5-6 weeks ago. It is doing well but because of the rainy season upon us I'm wondering if too much water will affect it. There are two mature rhods in my yard and they bloom every year. So what do you think?
I used soil from my acidic yard which is full of cedars and about half regular garden soil. Also threw in handfuls of tree needles. Rocks in bottom of pot with drain holes on bottom of pot. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea in a Pot

Contrary to popular wisdom, rocks (or other coarse stuff) doesn't help drainage.

And using garden soil in a container makes drainage worse.

Further, don't throw in tree needles.

Always use a potting mix in a container of any size.
Because you re-potted it just 5 to 6 weeks ago, I suggest you consider re-doing it the correct way w/ potting mix -- now.

o
RE: Azalea in a Pot

Unless the potting mix is specifcally designed for azaleas and rhododendrons, I wouldn't use it, either. The most important characteristics of a mix for the use you intend are an acid pH, coarse texture and, especially, rapid drainage. Unless you live in an area of the country where mixes for rhododendrons/azaleas are sold, most of the readily available potting mixes do not have these characteristics. The Container Forum receipe involving peat, bark and granite grit is far better than what's available from the big box stores and giant producers of bagged mixes.

The addition of the conifer needles is not, imho, a bad idea at all. They break down slowly and help to keep a mix open and free draining. Just don't overdo it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here