Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sudden dieback: what could cause it?

Posted by ataraxia 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 16:08

I moved into a new house a month ago, with three seemingly healthy and well-established rhododendrons in the garden. Suddenly they seem to be dying back. The one in the photo, which is the worst, looked fine less than a week ago.

I would really appreciate any advice you might have, because I don't know what to make of it.

The dieback is on multiple branches, and I don't see any evidence of pests. There is a shallow layer of bark mulch, but it's not right up against the plants. There is also a flowering dogwood in this garden, and it has what I would guess is powdery mildew, but now I wonder if the two issues could be related.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sudden dieback: what could cause it?

The two most common causes of sudden dieback are both fungal infections. Various strains of phytophthora cause root rot. This disease is more common in pots, but overwatering, high soil temperatures and poor drainage can lead to it in the landscape as well.

Botryosphaeria effects branches and stems and can appear suddenly - often as a result of droughty conditions. This is probably more common than phytophthora in the landscape.

Unfortunately, there are really no good treatment options once an infection has appeared. Pruning back to healthy green wood, cleaning up and disposing of any fallen leaves, and making sure growing conditions are the best you can provide are the best things you can do.

There's more good information available at rhodyman's website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here