Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this Azalea have fungus? (pic)

Posted by Asha_10 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 11 at 17:57

Hi there. I have an Azalea Duxbury Gibraltar that I planted last year. It looked nice and healthy but towards the end of the season the leaves started to brown and curl and I think there may have been some white spots. This Spring, it bloomed, has been healthy but in the last month or so I'm seeing browning on teh leaves again.... I'm not sure if this is fungus or not, I've heard they can be susceptible. The branches and stems look fine. I only lightly fertilized around May with an all purpose granule. It's currently in a container only because I'm about to move it, but it's been in the ground about a year. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/tvcampbell/Plants and Garden/DSC01392.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/tvcampbell/Plants and Garden/DSC01392.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this Azalea have fungus? (pic)

The pictures are too far away to see the white spots but it could be pestalotia leaf spot, a common fungal infection best treated by making sure the environment is not too humid and by applying good sanitation techniques such as watering only the soil (no overhead watering) and watering early in the mornings, cleaning up plant debris in the soil and disposing it in the trash (do this to the leaves when they fall in the Fall), replace the mulch with new mulch if the infestation is spread thru a large percentage of the leaves, allow for more separation between plants in order to improve air flow, etc.

Luis

o
RE: Does this Azalea have fungus? (pic)

I could not access the photos, but let me suggest that nearly all deciduous azaleas/rhododendrons will have various leaf spot ailments, mildew, etc. at this time of year. These are generally more unsightly than a threat to the plant's overall health. Cleaning up the leaves once they've fallen as luis pr suggests may help for next year, but it's likely that the leaves will exhibit the same discolorations next year by late August/September.

'Gibraltar', btw, is one of the many Exbury, not Duxbury azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here