Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how late is too late?

Posted by veryzer 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 18:36

I ordered a pjm from a local nursery and was told it would probably arrive later in the fall. I know fall is a good planting time, but at what point would I tell the nursery "thanks, but no thanks....it's too late in the season"?

Also:

I have a spring-planted pjm that's thriving, but the trunk is loose in relation to the root ball--almost like a tooth. Is this a cause for concern?

P.S. Thanks much rhodyman. I dug the aforementioned pjm up and it was doing well. However, one of my cunningham's whites had a rootball that was dry but for the outermost layer. The potting soil was like sawdust. No wonder it fell to drooping constantly. I hope it becomes more optimistic now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how late is too late?

I have ordered some and they will be shipped the week of September 22nd. I would not want them much later than that in zone 5.

o
RE: how late is too late?

You can plant them any time the ground is not frozen. Only accept plants from a similar or colder climate. Plants from the South should not be planted in the north in the Fall. They won't harden off properly. If you plant in the Fall, mulch very well. Keep the mulch away from the trunk of the plant but make sure it is thick over the roots so they don't get frost heave. Ideally add a heavy layer of mulch after the ground freezes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here