Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gammaray_gw

when should i fertilize (confused) rhododendrons?

gammaray
18 years ago

hi, i have 3 rhododendrons that are at least 25 years old (they are about 5' x 5' each) that have not been looking very robust lately. some leaves are yellow with green veins. a few leaves are totally yellow. a few other leaves are shriveling up. i tested soil and it is slightly low in acid. nitro is extremely low. N P and K are also off. i want to fertilize them but the problem is that they are trying to bloom. it is odd because as i recall, they usually bloom in late winter/early spring only. they seem to be confused. i live in USDA zone 9 (northern california), and we had a very long winter and short summer this year, so maybe this is confusing them. normally, they would be fertilized this time of year. so, my question is : is it ok for me to feed them now or should i wait until they are done blooming ? also, to help the soil quality, someone recommended adding alfalfa. can i at least do that when they are about to bloom ? my 20 year old camelias are doing same thing and also need to be fed so i have same question regarding them. i am a beginning gardener and would appreciate advice on how to proceed. thanks !

Comments (2)

Sponsored