Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I protect our Azalea this winter?

Posted by edweather Zone 5a/b Central NY (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 19:41

Nursed this back from the dead a few years ago when we bought the house. Now, every winter it takes a beating with about 3 feet of tundra-like snowpack (we live in the snowbelt,) and temps as low as 0F, for 3 months. Haven't been protecting it, but this spring it was flat and brown in the spring and didn't perk up 'til summer. Is there a simple and inexpensive way to protect it during the winter? Thanks. Ed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I protect our Azalea this winter?

Anything you can do to protect the plant from sun and wind will help - evergreen boughs, burlap screens, etc. Deep snow, however, is an excellent insulator, so I'm guessing that the damage takes place mostly before snowfall. This would suggest that evergreen boughs would be your best bet. They will protect from sun and wind in early winter then create an airspace around the plant when snow does arrive.

o

I like the idea of burlap or evergreens. Yes snow is an excellent insulator, but 'heavy dense snow-pack' isn't. This gets snow off of the roof, and it becomes a solid glacier-like mass on top of it. Very heavy and it smashes the azalea against the ground and presses it. Everything is great for the few early snowfalls, but as the winter progresses the damage occurs. I have some scrap plywood around that I can add a couple of hinges and make an "A" frame type cover to protect it if I need to.

o

Under these conditions, an A frame protector is a very good idea. It probably will have to be pretty substantial to stand up to snow/ice sliding off the roof. Moving the plant to a more favorable place may be the best option in the long run - evergreen azaleas are difficult in very cold climates to begin with and winter after winter of coping with ice pack, even with protection, will likely never result in a happy azalea.

o

OK, will try a protector. The plant has been doing great with my TLC compared to the little dead stick it was 4 years ago. Any additional protection has to help even more. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks. Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here