Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron Flower Buds Turn Brown Previous Autumn

Posted by ajaynejr (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 20:19

I have some white flowering rhododendrons that are now about 4 feet tall (and more than 10 years old). The last several years they have not bloomed.

This year and last I noticed that the flower buds seem to have formed normally during the summer but little by little they are turning brown even before winter..

More exactly flaps usually starting with the outermost layer (down at the base) turn brown one at a time and then the next layer turns brown and before too long the entire bud is brown. Come spring the (brown) buds don't open and bloom.

Do I need to spray for pests or diseases?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron Flower Buds Turn Brown Previous Autumn

Summer drought or an early frost can cause this, but neither seems likely several years in a row. The other possibility is so-called bud blast, a fungal infection. If it is the latter, buds left attached to the plant will eventually turn fuzzy black as the spores of the fungus form on the bud surfaces. This condition is - maybe - spread by leaf hoppers, so once there's an infection it tends to spread. You need to pick off all the brown buds and any buds that have fallen on the ground before the fungus becomes infectious next summer. There are fungicides recommended for this which need to be sprayed on the newly forming buds next summer. Some recommend spraying for leaf hoppers as well. Your county extension or state agriculture department can give specific advice for your area.

o
RE: Rhododendron Flower Buds Turn Brown Previous Autumn

Thanks. I will try a fungicide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here