Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting old azaleas

Posted by gw409 none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 20:52

hello
new york south region

a few years ago i moved a bunch of small azaleas to a different area of the house. i clustered them in hopes of creating a tight geometric shape. i think the area i chose for transplant gets way too much hot afternoon sun. i want to move them again to a more shaded location. is it advisable to cut them back significantly prior to transplant? these were my fathers and are about 15 years old so i would like to save them for sentimental reasons.

any advice on this would be appreciated.
thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting old azaleas

did a little reading on the forum, looks like i have two isseus to contend with. one a drastic pruin and two a transplant. i am confused on how this should be timed?

also how much sun or shade is too much for azaleas?

thanks

o

The ideal exposure is probably morning sun and afternoon shade, although there are some azalea varieties that will do well in full sun except in very hot climates.

Any pruning done now will eliminate next year's bloom. Azaleas and rhododendrons are very easy to move because of their shallow, vibrous root system, but, all in all, you'd probably be better off waiting until after next year's bloom to move them. At that point you can prune to shape the plants to the form you want, but it is not a requirement for transplanting them.

o

It is never recommended that the top be pruned to compensate for root loss during transplanting. Woody plants need all of those leaves in order to manufacture a brand new root system.

o

Also, now is not the time to prune in the Northern Hemisphere. Pruning stimulates new growth and delays hardening off and dormancy. This causes serious problems. It is OK to move now, in fact probably the best time to move if you mulch properly so you don't get frost heave.

o

so assuming i don't care about bloom next season, could i transplant now, mulch well and prune back next spring before the season starts?

o

Yes, as rhodyman wrote, this is a good time to transplant as long as you mulch well and make sure they have enough water right through November.

rhizo 1's comments about pruning and root loss are accurate for many plants, but don't really apply to rhododendrons and azaleas. With care, it's not at all difficult to move close to 100% of the existing roots - they're in a shallow compact mass. Pruning now will stimulate late soft growth, as rhodyman noted. That's reason enough to wait for spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here