Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snapping off buds in the fall?

Posted by freedee 6-7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 22:33

A grower told me that if I snap off the buds that are there in the fall, the rodies will grow fuller. Those buds are too late to produce flowers this year, right? It makes scense. Does this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snapping off buds in the fall?

Are you thinking of the practice known as pinching (done in the Spring) to make the shrubs grow fuller maybe? The flower buds that are out there now will be the ones that open in Spring, not in the current growing season.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 10:43

Agree with Luis, the buds you are seeing now are next Springs flowers, not growth buds. Pinching those won't encourage more dense branching, it will only remove next years flower display.

In order to encourage branches to form, pinch terminal leaf buds - not the round, fat, blunt-tipped flower buds. Do this as growth/terminal leaf buds begin to elongate in Spring during or immediately after bloom. This should force shoots to develop from dormant eyes in the lower leaf axils. A plant hormone is produced by leaf buds which inhibits development of dormant buds along the stems - flower buds do not produce this hormone.

o

I just bought 16, 5 gallon rodies. I snaped the buds off of one, I'm so glad I didn't do the rest. Thanks so much for this information! I'm going to look for the terminal leaf buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here