Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roseum Elegans Struggling

Posted by lawnkid Central NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 23:29

I am trying to find out how to prevent a Roseum Elegans Rhododendron from getting further deteriorated. Its showing some insect chewing damage and some branches are dying. Please take a look at the photo:

Roseum Elegans Sept 2008

I read chewing damage might be due weevil insects. Nematodes are recommended to put on the soil to go after them. Can you tell if there is anything else I could do? Or if my assumption is correct?

My goal is to obviously get it as healthy as possible, and promote branches since I want the round dense shape.

I will greatly appreciate advice.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roseum Elegans Struggling

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 22:29

Your picture appears to be clickable, but won't enlarge for me so I'm not getting a clear look at your rhody.

Weevils leave sharp notches along outside edges of leaves. Nematodes applied in Fall can be effective for the larvae (in ground and feeding on roots) - you can hand pick the adults that are feeding on foliage. There are sticky barriers you could apply to plant base, chemicals that could be sprayed to kill adults but for some cosmetic damage on one or two plants, I wouldn't go to the expense.
Go out at night after dark with a flashlight - if you do have weevils you'll find them (climb somewhat slowly so you may not find them right at dusk). If you don't have weevils but something else like climbing cutworm that damage rhododendron here, you will have identified the pest and can take the correct action.

I'm seeing one dead branch, that could be either rhododendron borer (see link), or drought. Sometimes rhododendrons will respond to drought by having individual branches die leaving others unaffected.

To encourage a rhododendron to grow to a more compact full shape, wait until Spring when blooming and pinch out new foliage buds with your fingers as they are starting to elongate and unfurl. (flower buds are blunt/fat, foliage buds more narrow and pointed) Removing the foliage buds will encourage dormant buds positioned lower to begin to grow...repeat for about three years until you have the more dense form you desire.

Here is a link that might be useful: rhododendron borer

o
RE: Roseum Elegans Struggling

Weevils must climb up on the plant every night, then they go back into the ground each night. The easiest way to kill them is to use a material that is approved in your state to kill them in the ground. However, it is an endless battle. I just assume it is normal to have wesvil damage and don't worry about it. The true danger is the damage they do to the roots. Once you start trying to kill the weevils you are also killing their natural enemies.

The other damage looks the same as your Purpureum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here