Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
civicsinister

Azalea Koka

civicsinister
16 years ago

Hello,

I have been keeping an Azalea Koka as an indoor bonsai for roughly a month and a half. The tree is showing very small new growth, and has not really branched further from its original size. The leaves were turning slightly brown, so I began giving it a 7-9-5 in normal 2 day waterings, and a 4-6-6 at weekly waterings. The plant has begun drooping much more, and the leaves are starting to curl and brown further. Does anybody have any advice, or is it too late?

Comments (2)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Your Koka azalea is a Satsuki, and the original problem was probably your low indoor humidity. Without seeing it, I can only suspect possible fertlizer burn in addition - that's much too much. I wish I could help you with your odds of saving it in your Colorado climate, but I'm not experienced in bonsai, having only one received as a gift - and it's a pine.

The link provides suggestions for care that seem to be standard for satsuki azalea grown as bonsai

Here is a link that might be useful: Satsuki bonsai

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Slow growth and small new growth is desirable in bonsai the last time I checked. Most good bonsai are many years old, some decades old.

Fertilizing azaleas and especially bonsai is not advised. Azaleas need excellent drainage and will curl and turn brown and die if the roots are kept too wet. The container must have gravel or something in the bottom and a drain hole so the water can drain. Otherwise the azalea will die of root rot.

Sponsored