Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwinter Potted Azaleas?

Posted by greekbecky2 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 0:20

Hi:
I have two beautiful red azaleas planted in tall containers. I'm wondering...do I bring them into my barn for the winter or, are they hardy enough to withstand a cold upstate NY winter outside covered in burlap?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwinter Potted Azaleas?

Florist azaleas are usually greenhouse plants that won't survive outside in areas that have killing frosts. Regular nursery azaleas are hardy but probably not completely hardy in upstate NY. Since we don't know what type of azalea it is, we have to assume it is not frost hardy. It is ideal if you can put it where it is cool with no frost and gets light from the north, no sun. You will have to water it once in a while. Keep it on the dry side, since wet roots will kill an azalea. They need good drainage. Make sure the containers have holes in the bottom so the plants don't get water logged. Then after the last killing frost you can put it out next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for azaleas

o

Thank you Rhodyman...I'll put them in the barn for the winter then. Hopefully, they'll make it...:)

o

If temperatures in the barn fall to close to the outside temperatures, the plants will probably not survive. Plants in pots are quite vulnerable to cold because of the small volume of soil in the pots.

If you can do it, a cellar where temperatures remain cool but do not fall below freezing would be a much better place. If the barn is the only option, make sure you put a cardboard box or another sort of insulator over the plants. This will trap some of the heat from below and modify the cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here