Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssmo_gw

Is this a rhododendron?

ssmo
9 years ago

Moved here in July. Still trying to figure this out. Someone suggested Rhododendron. What do you think?

Comments (12)

• rhodyman
    9 years ago

You have some sumac and other things in the picture, but it looks like you may have a rhododendron. If you could take a photo of the leaves and a spent flower showing the seed pods that are forming, that would cinch it. Here is what a spent flower looks like immediately after the bloom.
    {{gwi:391659}}
    This is a rhododendron truss which contains a number of individual flowers. The whitish things sticking out are the pistils. There is one pistil for each flower. They go to the ovary which is now forming a seed pod. The seed pod is connected to the plant with a thin stem called a pedicel. The pedicels all connect to a spongy layer which is shown in this photo:
    {{gwi:391661}}

• ssmo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic of the only bud looking thing on the bush. I know there is a lot of brush underneath that I want to clean out and I am trying to decide if this is a keeper.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

These pictures aren't terribly helpful.
    Second picture could be a Daphniphyllum, not a rhododendron but sold by Camellia Forest as "redneck rhododendron" because it is a little tougher in the south compared to most rhododendrons. Alas, it doesn't have showy flowers.
    In any case, you should keep if it you like the look of it, and get rid of it if you don't.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

"jabba the hutt might be doing some nude sunbathing back there.... "
    LOL Ken.

• rubyhum
    9 years ago

Maybe it can be pruned/"limbed-up" to give it more character or interest to you? Plus you could then mow or plant something appropriate near the bottom. Maybe live with it for a full season before making the decision.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Where do you live? If that's in full sun and you are in Southern VA, chances are it's not a rhodie.

Is it evergreen or deciduous? I guess you'll know this winter.

• shelleyuk
    9 years ago

Hi OP did you keep this? It is definitely a rhododendron. We are in the uk where the plant is prolific and it looks exactly like some of ours growing in ancient oak and silver birch woodland.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ssmo is long gone but the picture is definitely not definitely a rhododendron, it looked much more like a Daphniphyllum or perhaps some kind of Lauraceae; and anywhere south of about Baltimore a rhododendron that size is a rarity, especially in full sun. It would literally be one of a kind. Eventually, in many years, some of the R. hyperythrum hybrids could look like that in that region, but they are only being planted now.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes: wrong branching pattern and leaf arrangement for a rhododendron. For the same reasons not a Daphniphyllum either. Possibly one of the hot climate viburnums, but nothing about what I can make out from the inadequate (too far away) picture provided shouts that it is one of those either.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

BBoy I've been surprised by the variation of branching on mature Daphniphyllums. I don't think it can be absolutely ruled out, though I admit it looks atypical for that...that's why I only said the second picture in the original post could be that. "Possibly one of the hot climate viburnums" these are very rare except for 'Chindo', which it definitely isn't, but it's not as though large Daphniphyllum are very common either.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Better pictures needed.