Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Planting Opinion

Posted by subgardener 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 9:41

I wish to plant 3 azalea in my yard but the spot would only be about 8' from a very aggressive river birch. The birch must be close to 15 years old so I figure it will slow down its root growth or even die soon to be replaced by a better behaved tree. The question is whether the azalea could survive till the tree goes. This tree has such aggressive roots that it sent roots up into a pot just resting on the ground. Others in this household have been quite fond of the birch so I can't just remove it.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Planting Opinion

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 13:53

Birch trees are both surface-rooted and host for aphids which secrete a bothersome honeydew that will affect plantings beneath them. You can safely plant near but not under them.

At 15 years, your birch is a mere teenager and could easily live another 50+ years.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 8:08

Morz8, I don't plant any birches in my garden for that very reason. That 'bothersome honeydew' will get on cars, windows, and siding, and all plants beneath it. It may not happen in other parts of the country though.
Mike

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 6, 09 at 11:06

Mike, that's a good point, I don't know that they are aphid magnets in other climates too.

That surface rooting habit on most residential size lots can be a heartache though. My mother planted birch (4!) in Longview just a little more than a couple of decades ago and they are causing her all kinds of grief now. She's 83, has damaged sidewalks, compacted beds/sparse lawn, exposed roots just waiting to trip a little old lady :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here