Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjtbay

Fall Bloom ?

jjtbay
16 years ago

This probably is not that big of a deal but I thought I'd show it anyway. This is the only bud like this on a big, old, well established plant. I'm located in Cleveland Ohio.

{{gwi:399220}}

Comments (5)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

This is Fall Blooming. Some causes of fall blooming include a dry summer and moist fall and/or warmer climates including a warm fall. For some reason, fall blooming is more common in Georgia according to Dr. Sandra McDonald. Plants which are not sufficiently hardened off or are exposed to unseasonable warm spells can start bloom prematurely. These blooms are seldom satisfactory and many times get frozen before opening fully. In any case, the seasonal bloom is lost. Avoid application of nitrogen after late spring, but phosphorus and potassium may be applied throughout the growing season. Application of nitrogen too late in the season can hinder hardening off in the fall.

Don't worry about it. There is nothing you can do now. These buds are lost for next spring so enjoy them now. They will turn brown and die during the winter.

• Birdsong72
    16 years ago

Having a terribly dry late summer/early fall, I've been resigned to watering (especially plantings of 2 seasons or less).

Both established and newer plantings which are encountering rogue fall blooming: Rh. Faisa, Scintillation, Ruth Motley, mucro. 'Pink Panther', Purple Splendour.

All singleton's except for Ruth Motley which has numerous blooms.

It's a nice sendoff as they bring a smile within the overall dynamic of the gardens: dogwoods are ablaze in crimson, veriticilattas and skimmias are berry ladened and lepidotes/species are turning mango, oranges, & purples.

Here at the northern shore, today finally feels like the first "true" fall day. 90% of the oaks are still full of leaves and yet to fall, but they are starting to float down with this norwester.

Beautiful day. Clean up day (containers being emptied and house plants finally making it indoors)

• softballmom
    16 years ago

Bummer, because my azaleas all have set bud this fall. We had a drought going on until last week when we got the 3 days of rain with the cooler tempetures. I was hoping that they would stay on my tree and bloom next spring. Bummer it was so full, it was going to be outstanding.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

The good news is that the buds that haven't started to open will produce bigger, better trusses next spring.

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

jjtbay, you reminded of a similar thing that happened in mid-October while visiting relatives in Mass. An old rhodie was blooming. I asked if the weather had been dry that year and she said yes. Then I returned home to find two hydrangea plants in my garden & a gardenia at a friend's house producing late blooms as well. When it happens, just enjoy it!

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions