Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lena_gardener

replant azalea in the old spot?

lena_gardener
13 years ago

Hello,

I really need help here.

I had a few 20+ old azaleas on both sides of the front entrance. Both sides have full sun exposure, elevated beds. On the right side all grows perfectly well.

On the left side I did have problems for years and now all 3 big bushes died. Just branch-by-branch, one by one.

we suspect root rot, but can't be sure.

If it is fungus, I should not put a new azalea in the same spots, right? Is there any chemical I can use to clear the fungus?

Can I put other plants? will they be affected by this fungus? we took out dead roots and I do not know what to do now. :)

appreciate your advice.

Comments (2)

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

Root rot normally kills the entire plant rather quickly. Drought and dieback will kill individual branches as will borers. Prolonged drought weakens plants and often results in the appearance of fungal cankers on the branches of older azaleas. Look for branches that wilt in hot, dry weather in late summer and be sure to water azaleas if drought drags on more than a few weeks. Prune out the affected branches to stop the spread of fungal canker diseases.

There is another possibility: The roots of Black Walnut (Juglans nigra L.) and Butternut (Juglans cinerea L.) produce a substance known as juglone (5-hydroxy-alphanapthaquinone). Persian (English or Carpathian) walnut trees are sometimes grafted onto black walnut rootstocks. Many plants such as tomato, potato, blackberry, blueberry, azalea, mountain laurel, rhododendron, red pine and apple may be injured or killed within one to two months of growth within the root zone of these trees. The toxic zone from a mature tree occurs on average in a 50 to 60 foot radius from the trunk, but can be up to 80 feet. The area affected extends outward each year as a tree enlarges.

In any case you should be able to replant. But first make sure there are no black walnut or butternut roots in the area. If so, clear them out of the bed and put in a barrier to surface roots. Also, figure out why this bed is more prone to drought damage. You may need to amend the soil with bark compost and use an excellent mulch after planting. If the sun is hitting the side of the raised bed, then that could contribute to the drought damage. You may have to put in a layer of insulation along the south side.

After planting be sensitive to needs of the plants. When dry, azalea leaves will droop in the morning. If they droop in the heat of the day, that is normal and not a problem. But if they droop in the morning, then the plant needs to be watered. Don't overwater and make sure you have good drainage. Wet roots is the main killer of azaleas.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for azaleas

• lena_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for the detail answer.

when you say 'You may have to put in a layer of insulation along the south side' what do u mean? :-) sorry, I do not know much about gardening as you can see.