Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Blooms & Pruning Azalea

Posted by jeff3298 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 14:51

My Azaleas this year had no blooms which is very unusal for all the bushes we have. They grew fine but no blooms, is it becaused I pruned them at the wrong time last year?

When do you prune them and can I prune them now? I need to prune them back alot.

Help! I miss the flowers!
Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Blooms & Pruning Azalea

Prune after they flower in the spring. If you prune now you'll eliminate next year's blooms. You should be able to see the buds for next year now.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 10:47

Azaleas should require little pruning other than removal of weak or dead wood and whatever trimming is necessary to keep them shapely. If you pruned last year and feel they need to be pruned back a lot this year, perhaps they are planted in the wrong location where there isn't really room for them, or the wrong varieties are planted.

Azaleas set their buds for the next seasons blooms in late summer. If you want to prune and still allow required weeks for new growth to emerge and mature in time to set buds, plan it as mainegrower said - immediately after bloom.

o

These Azeleas have been in this location for over 30 years and bloom abundantly every year. I must have butchered them last year when I pruned them at the wrong time. They are growing onto and covering the walkway to the front porch.

I will let them grow, I would rather have the blooms and let us walk on the lawn!

I will prune after the spring bloom!

Thanks
Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here