Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over-wintering?

Posted by moulman 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 07 at 17:40

I have recently received an Azalea as a gift. It is from one of those store "floral counters". There are actually three plants in the pot (6") and they are standing about a foot high.
It is in full bloom, with some buds still opening. So I am assuming it is not a Satsuki.

It is my underatnding from the quick research that I've done, that these "gift shop" varieties are not hardy ( I live in zone 5/6 - temps can remain below 0F for weeks at times).

So.... I am intending to wait until it stops flowering, then separate the 3 plants and repot each into a training pot size container, and move them to a cool room to finish out the winter (50-55F).

As I have no experience with Azaleas, I thought I'd solicit advice....

Oh, and they will be bonsai'd in the spring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over-wintering?

Satsuki azaleas are usually typified by the fact they are bred to have variation in the flowers on the each plant. For example they have petals with different colors or different patterns. Not all are like this but most are. This is called sporting in many other varieties but normal with satsukis.

Your project sounds fascinating.

I have a website in azaleas at: http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

Regarding greenhouse azaleas, I am going to refer you to a great article by the Minnesota Extension Service on Greenhouse Azaleas:

Here is a link that might be useful: Care of Greenhouse Azaleas

o
RE: Over-wintering?

Thanks! I will read everything on your website!

I'll try to remember to check back with pics in the spring.

Matt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here