Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

rhododendron macabeanum

miketropic
9 years ago

I am having a friend send me one of these over from the UK. The website says it is hardy to 5F which is still hit and miss in my zone 6B. Has anyone tried one over here and what were the results. I know its a long shot but I can't seem to find any other HUGE leaf forms for sale in the states.

Comments (29)

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

The Rhododendron Species Foundation in WA offers a large number of big leaf species in its twice yearly plant sales. Included usually is the high altitude form of r. Macabeanum which may be hardy to -5 (or even lower). A number of these survived the very harsh 2013-2014 at the Coastal Maine Botanic Garden. Keep in mind, however, that winter lows are only part of the story in growing any of the big leaf species. They need a lot of atmospheric moisture and will not survive hot and humid conditions, something I would imagine occurs frequently in your area. I'm not optimistic about your chances with this or any other of the big leaf species, but wish you the best of luck.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I bought one about 15 months ago from Chimacum Woods Nursery, their specialty plants quite interesting and very well grown IMO. It went into the ground last October - climate makes it hard for a gardener to not grow a rhododendron well, and I'm not inexperienced either....

It's not doing well at all. Soil, site are right although it was getting more Spring and early summer sun than I'd anticipated on the property we've purchased. I know how to plant one. But don't have high hopes at this point for macabeanum to perk up and begin thriving in my garden.

We did have an unusual for us cold snap about 6 weeks after planting where temperatures could have reached as low as 10F and did not rise above freezing for a couple of days. I'd covered the plant temporarily with the storm forecast and thought it had come through just fine. It produced new foliage smaller than the original leaves this spring now has just stalled and the color is 'off'. It looks unhappy, unhealthy, has shed the foliage that was on the plant when I bought it. I'm not sure yet, but this could be my first rhododendron failure. If that's true and I take it out in Spring, I'll let you know what the root structure looks like. I may call the nursery owners and see if they have any insight for me, seemed to be both helpful and knowledgeable when I was making my purchases.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I hope you are observing all relevant plant quarantine and phytosanitary laws, mike, so that you don't also bring over the strain of sudden oak death which is now endemic to parts of England.
    In any case, the plant is very unlikely to do well for you anywhere in Kentucky. Anywhere the summers will be mild enough (mountain tops I guess) the winters will be too cold. Even coastal Long Island is too severe a climate for that plant.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Don't bump this thread:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azalea/msg0613265728648.html

BUT FWIW, the plant I was looking for back then was Frank Furman's 'Sky King'. I have one now, and have seen full sized ones in Swarthmore and at Rarefind. They capture the look of R. macabeanum while having enough toughness to grow on the east coast. I doubt Rarefind has them now, but you could call to ask when they next plan to offer them. There are a couple others, but 'Sky King' is the best looking to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azalea/msg0613265728648.html

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the help. I really just want some big leaf types even if they don't get alot of height. the Mac has both but I was after the leaves. I don't hold out much hope for it but its worth a try. Any suggestions for other big leaves that might make it in hot and humid KY I'll give those a try as well.

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

Two hybrids, Hardy Giant and Spellbinder, have impressively large leaves. Possibly available from Rarefind Nursery. Some of the Dexter hybids such as Wyandanch Pink also have good sized leaves. Hyperythrum is a species from Taiwan with long narrow leaves that is proving to be very adaptable in hot climates. Many hybrids involving it are appearing on the market. None of these, however, have the huge leaves seen in rhododendron rex or sinogrande.

The truth is that climates with high night time temperatures are not good places for rhododendrons in general. Hybrids containing genetic material from the Big Leaf Himalayan species would, inmho, be very, very difficult - as in impossible - to grow in KY.

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just what i was looking for and will do much better than the mac i would think. Rare finds is out of hardy giant so I need to find a place to get that one. If I do find them should I keep them potted till spring or plant if the ground isn't froze?

• akamainegrower
    9 years ago

I would lean toward spring planting. Much easier to keep an eye on watering needs if planted in the spring as opposed to fall planting. It may be possible to order now for late winter/early spring delivery if you find a source.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

If Hardy Giant truly is R. fortunei X R. rex as reported, it still might be a challenge in Kentucky.
    One mainegrower didn't mention that could definitely be good for the south is the unnamed R. maximum X. R. calophytum hybrid. Given that Kehr of North Carolina was the hybridizer I would assume he used a (relatively) southern R. maximum clone.

Rarefind has sold it in the past as well, and could have it again. I feel like I even saw small plants up there back in the spring, but don't get your hopes up. They might already be spoken for. I can vouch for it being a very tough rhododendron.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.hirsutum.info/rhododendron/hybrids/detail.php?start=C&id=20498

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 18:48

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Bumping this thread to note that, after this last winter, even 'Sky King' is showing injury for me. Hopefully not serious enough to be fatal.
    The BVT X mac hybrid looks better, but it's in a shadier spot - no winter sun at all, probably, and might be too shady for long-term optimal growth. So hard to say which is really hardier. IIRC, 'Sky King' has a seed parent of the amusingly named grex "catfortcampy" with pollen of mac.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Even in the wild rhododendrons are often concentrated in shaded locations. When you go high enough in altitude most vegetation of all types avoids full sun exposure, with south slopes tending to be thinly vegetated or even barren.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago

'Sky King' blooming for the first time for me. The flower has a yellowish-creamy color that my camera didn't quite pick up. It's a bit like natural off-white of butter. This plant was slightly damaged by the cold winters (lows around 2F) but not too badly.

• timbz6
    7 years ago

Great looking bloom Keep the photos coming

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks. I'll post if anything else particularly interesting blooms - I'm pretty sure I'm also going to see my first flowers of max X calophytum, so it's the "year of the hardy big leaf" around here.

BTW just ordered the amazing looking R. asterochnoum from RSF...based on your picture of one on Martha's Vineyard. I really don't need to be buying more rhodies, but somehow I'll find a place for it. (if any tree moving company wants to practice using those tractor trailer sized tree spades...contact me LOL. I need high shade...the situation is desperate!)

• timbz6
    7 years ago

I just ordered a R. asterochnoum from RSF for a friend. Here's what it looked like.......a beauty. That's my foot for scale .

• timbz6
    7 years ago

If your maximum x calophytum blooms please post a photo

• timbz6
    7 years ago

I have a few seedling R. asterochnoums outside and they did fine last winter with a wall-of-water for protection.

• timbz6
    7 years ago

Back to macabeanum..........I noticed the R. 'vulcan' x macabeanums I started from Richard Flavell's seed are starting to flush. Here are three of them, I have more too.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Wow, you are good at raising them from seed! Maybe you need to teach a master class somewhere LOL. I really need to try to learn how to do this, in a few years I'll have a lot of interesting things to cross. I generally think it is an over-hybridized genus but there's room from new plants, just not what many breeders such as it is, are after. We DON'T need anymore pink buns! The elusive hardy orange will be very elusive, as there are only a handful of really solid, vireya or lepidote looking orange elepidotes _anyhow_, no matter how hardy or not. The best I could find after hours of browsing hirsutum is this one: http://www.hirsutum.info/rhododendron/hybrids/detail.php?start=H&id=17212

Werner Brack said that he found R. horaeum to have absolutely no heat resistance, so it would be hard to breed with that plant on the east coast. BTW Herr Brack hybridized by far the best yellow that will grow on the east coast, albeit maybe only on Long Island (probably ok for you too in coastal New England): 'Gotham Rheingold'. Having now been on the west coast at nearly peak blooming season, I can say it's probably one of the best yellows, period.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Tim you saw my Norcal trip report, right?

Norcal field trip report - pt 1 (maybe)

• timbz6
    7 years ago

With seed you can grow many horaeum hybrid seedlings and I'm sure a few will be heat tolerant (if the other parent(s) have some heat genes in them). Mass plantings are always interesting since only the best forms will survive.

• timbz6
    7 years ago

I did not see your report. Thanks for the link. How about a post on this Rhodo board with lots of Rhodo photos?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago

OK, I'll do it. In return for, a few years down the road, cuttings from some of these awesome big leaf hybrids you are growing out from seed! Maybe not til a little later though, I'm still organizing the trip pictures.

BTW, thanks for the seed growing tips. I had tried growing offspring of 'Medusa' (it was blooming for me before the drought/flood summers of 2011 & 2012 killed it off) and since that's naturally a smaller plant, maybe the seedlings were incredibly slow, too. OMG I have an incredible picture of the 'Medusa' at Sonoma Hort - so orange looking. Coming soon!

• timbz6
    7 years ago

The 2016 ARS Seed Exchange will be closing soon. Get some seed. Lots of great lots still available.

http://www.rhododendron.org/seed_exchange_list2016.htm

• miketropic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bee trying to get back in touch with you Tim from another board. Do you have a email contact?

• timbz6
    7 years ago

Hi Mike, what board? Is there a PM?

• miketropic
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Palms north a few years back

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz