Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodo Leaves Yellowing and Red

Posted by MFIX Buff-NY Z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 18:55

Help! My Rhodo's leaves have been turning yellow and red for about two months. Generally, the leaves in the inner portion of the plant, and mostly toward the lower branches are being effected. I have not done a soil test, but I have had this happen to a couple of leaves here and there over the last two seasons, but this is by far the worst I've seen. I read that leaching cement can effect iron uptake by effectively preventing it in the soil, and last autumn we built two new concrete steps with portland cement over them to smooth them out, could this be the cause? I also noticed that water was pooling more around the plant after watering this year, which is odd, because we had an unusually dry winter, spring and fall, and I don't ever overwater. Also, the blooms this spring were amazing, so it is also very strange. I noticed my other azaleas, and other peoples in this region, being effected by yellowing and reddening as well, and I thought at first that it was because of our unusually early starting, and very warm and dry season, but maybe not. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodo Leaves Yellowing and Red

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 20:39

It is perfectly normal for rhododendrons to drop the oldest, innermost leaves each year in late summer. This is a natural process and no cause for concern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here