Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philipm_gw

winter care- rebloom?

philipm
17 years ago

Someone got my mother-in-law a grocery store azalea. When it had stopped blooming in April she didn't know what to do with it, so she gave it to me. I put it outside for the summer and watered it when needed. Now we are preparing for the killing freeze later this week.

What kind of winter care should this plant get and will it rebloom?

Comments (2)

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Florist Azaleas, and other greenhouse azaleas which are forced to bloom for special holidays, are varieties hybridized to be easy to propagate and easy to force into bloom at a precise time and with very showy foliage and flowers which tend to hold well. In most climates they do not do well outdoors and are considered to be houseplants.

Garden azaleas are species or varieties which are hybridized to not force easily since they can be faked out by unseasonable weather and sport which destroys the seasonal bloom. They are also selected or bred to be hardy for certain climates such as hot climates, cold climates, wet climates and dry climates. They do not do well as house plants since they need normal seasonal changes to properly produce and open flower buds.

• shic_2006
    17 years ago

If the plants are healthy, they will naturally want to bloom when it is cool. Check out mine

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor