Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

purchasing a Rhodie during the end of october??

dkgarber
15 years ago

I couldnt' resist a huge Nova Zebla Rhododendron on clearance for 5.00 today. THey had a ton and it took all my restraint not to buy more. But I have a home for this guy. He's nice and big--about 3 1/2 feet high. What a bargain!!

We've had frost and a couple hard freezes here already in Mass. THe days are warm, but the nights are in the 30s. I imagine its too late to plant him??

My question is, can I overwinter it in the pot in my garage (will have access to light as there are windows) and keep watered till the spring????

Comment (1)

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

If the ground is not frozen, you can plant it now. Now is the best time. Make sure you mulch it very well. Make sure you open up the roots so it doesn't get root bound. Make sure the root ball gets thoroughly wet. Make sure the site is well drained.

Azaleas will not survive in wet, poorly-drained soil. Avoid planting them in depressions where water may puddle after rain or near downspouts where they experience wet/dry fluctuations in soil moisture. Dig a hole the depth of the pot or root ball and fill it with water. If the hole drains within an hour you have good drainage. If the water has not drained out of the hole within one hour, the soil is poorly drained and you must correct the drainage problem before planting. Install a perforated pipe or drain tile in the garden, making sure that the outlet is lower than the bottom of the planting hole, or build raised beds.

Turn the soil well and dig a hole two or three times as wide as the root ball. Add plenty of organic material, remove the plant from its container and loosen the root ball. Water the pot thoroughly before planting and tease the soil away from the roots on the outside of the pot. Don't worry about injuring the roots it's more important to remove a significant amount of the potting soil than it is to keep every root intact. Planting depth is critical because azaleas are shallow-rooted plants. In sandy soils, set the root ball in the hole so the top is about 1 inch above the surrounding soil grade. In clay soils and poorly drained soils, place the top of the root ball 2 to 4 inches above the soil grade, gradually sloping the soil to meet the original grade. This allows for settling and assures that the roots will be in the upper layer of soil where they can readily obtain oxygen, water and nutrients.

Set the root ball into your prepared hole (making sure the top 1-2 inches of the ball is above the soil level), pull in your humus/organic soil around the plant, pack firmly and cover with mulch. Finally, water the whole area thoroughly and apply a thin layer of shredded leaves, pine needles, or pine bark to keep the soil cool and moist. Water your newly planted rhododendron or azalea weekly if the weather is dry, at least for the first year.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to plant rhododendrons.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz