Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
full afternoon sun in texas

Posted by Lou_Midlothian_Tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 05 at 21:32

Can anyone recommend which variety of Azeleas that can tolerate full afternoon sun esp during hot Texas summers? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: full afternoon sun in texas

Iguess noone really knows to that answer. I came across one called Tutti Fruitti. It might work...

o

I was told by a local nurseyman that, here in north Florida, the indicas, like formosa, had the best chance of surviving in full sun. The theory was that the bigger azaleas can produce their own shade, which can help to prevent their roots from drying out.

o

Evergreen azaleas, even in my mild PNW summer sun, simply do not care for a full sun location. While they will live and even thrive for a period of time, deterioration is inevitable. I can't imagine too many hybrids, regardless of parentage, doing very well for any length of time in full-on afternoon sun in Texas. You might consider deciduous azaleas - they are far more sun tolerant than the evergreen species or hybrids and actually prefer considerable sun to shade, plus have the bonus as being less mildew prone in this situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here