Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replanting Rhodos now

Posted by alyrics 5B NE OH (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 6:52

I have a R. Nova Zembla that has escaped getting replanted this year. It is too wet in the place the former owner planted it. I'm concerned about leaving it in place over the winter. I have beautiful mature NZ's so I can compare and see it is not in a suitable place. I have a protected place in a large soil pile that I could bury this one in a large pot, or just planted in for the winter. I am going to have to do significant work in this bed before I would want to replant a rhodo into it. I am taking out some 25 yr old hemlocks that are just too old and sparse - they've been pruned for all this time and its time for replacement. So to save this rhodo for the winter - I can bring it into an unheated garage in a pot or sink it in a pile of dirt. The dirt is a bedding mix of 1/3 each of sand, screened topsoil and leaf humus so it would benefit the roots. What do you think?

I'm going to post separately about dwarf R. Purple Gem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replanting Rhodos now

I would go with the soil and protect it from winter sun and wind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here