Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnaw_gw

how big does rhododendron get

johnaw
15 years ago

I am new to Rhododendron and would like to know how tall and wide do they get?

I am thing of ether planting a Magnolia or a Rhododendron on the Northwest Corner of my house.

Do they get 5 or 6 feet tall or taller?

I don't really want something that gets 15 to 20 feet tall. It will be sating on top of a drainage tiller for my downspouts. But I would like something long lived.

I need some expert advise on this, someone that has had one or both of these plants or bushes or Trees.

Comments (9)

• User
    15 years ago

Rhododendrons are a members of a very diverse, large group of plants. R. maximum can eventually form sprawling thickets up to 30 feet in height. R. elegans (a common attractive variety with lavender flowers) gets to a maximum of about 15 feet. I bought a house with elegans planted close to the foundation. I removed one larger one but am keeping another on the side. It's rate of growth is not that fast and I figure I can also prune back some. You should do a little research on more dwarf varieties. If you are looking for an evergreen, also consider one of the hollies. I love boxwood, but zone 5 may be too cold for it. Also, by Magnolia do you mean the everygreen (M. grandiflora) or one of the very numerous deciduous Magnolias? No matter, these are really large trees. Don't know if there is one dwarf enough for your needs. Even the "Dwarf" evergreen, Little Gem, wants to get to be a sprawling 30 foot tree. Additionally, all Magnolias are shallow rooted. I would not plant them too close to the foundation of a house (been there, done that with one that had to be removed eventually). Good luck!

• johnaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Would you go with the Rhododendron?

The Magnolia is Sweet Bay and yes it is deciduous. This is what I am afford of because it would only be 10 from the foundation or basement wall.

You mentioned that you can prune Rhododendrons, so you could keep them at the height and width that you would perfumed?

• johnaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is what I am thinking the Rhododendron would be the best chose to go with. What would be your feeling on this?

What would be the best Rhododendron to buy? Do they have deep roots or surface roots?

Is there any Mail Order Companies that have Catalogs that one can get, if so who is the best?

Also which Rhododendron are the best? As I have stated I am new to Rhododendrons. Need all the help I can get on this.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

When selecting rhododendrons, choose by plant height/width & bloom color; also choose those that can grow in Zone 5 (PJM Hydrids for example); and also ask (or note) if they have any nice fall foliage (Olga Mezitt is a good fall foliage rhodie). The height/width that you see in plant labels and websites is the estimated size at 10 years but, since rhodies live longer than that, they will get taller and wider. Some pruning now and then will take care of those that exceed their boundaries. All mail order and Internet companies will advertise this type of information for each variety that they sell.

There is no 'best' company or rhododendron as you might surmise. What one person likes, another can dislike so choose what you like instead. Some varieties do better based on light or moisture or etc conditions.

Local nurseries are a good source of examples but they will not get new plants until -I am guessing- March/April so selection now will be limited. However, many of those plants will probably be blooming which makes it great for picking specimens that you like (photo colors on the Internet can be "off" sometimes).

Last suggestion: some cities have botanical gardens or arboretums which you can visit when plants are in bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron Nurseries

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

When you say "10 from foundation", do you mean inches, feet, or what? If 10 inches, then go with something that doesn't need acidic soil.

Rhododendrons need acidic soil, and foundations tend to leach lime and make the soil basic.

It is not a good idea to keep pruning a rhododendron to keep its size back. It is best to choose one that will be the correct size. The size quoted for a rhododendron is the size at 10 years of age. They keep on growing, but do not grow rapidly after 10 years of age.

To get an idea of the best rhododendron varieties for your area visit the good doers page for Ohio at:

Proven Performering Rhododendrons for Great Lakes Chapter

To get an idea of the size and shape look these proven performing rhododendrons at:

Plant descriptions (Elepidotes and Lepidotes)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• ezlivin1
    15 years ago

"photo colors on the Internet can be "off" sometimes"

Yes, especially reds, yellows, and blues.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

>Even the "Dwarf" evergreen, Little Gem, wants to get to be a sprawling 30 foot treeActually the characteristic habit of this one is conical, almost columnar. Propagations sold may be bushy for years, but eventually a taller, narrower, more pointed top often emerges.

• Cat
    8 years ago

I planted a magnolia from the Little Girl series near my house, but I planted it in a large pot, to restrain its growth. And the smallest and likely most popular selling rhodie is a PJM rhododendron. They're not as big as the others and have gorgeous lavender/purple flowers, and a purply leaf color. They are really popular and sell out fast. Any plant that says "dwarf" means you have to prune it back. All plants will grow as big as they can get if you let them. I am a merciless pruner. I take pruning shears and whack them back as soon as they're done blooming. I may lose some flowers but I'm preventing a monster plant. I'd rather take that choice. when people are afraid to prune or get too picky about it, that's when they get leggy and grow way too big, then it's too late. I actually took a chain saw to a rose plant in the front yard that I didn't want anymore, and the doggone thing grew back and now it's full and flowering again. I don't think it wanted to be taken out.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County