Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juanhanded

Large Rhododendron Suggestions?

juanhanded
13 years ago

Hi everyone.

I am seeking suggestions for large rhodendrons that will grow 10 feet and greater for a woodland garden that will also provide screening from neighbors.

My area of New York has lows of -5*F very rarely(every several years).Area is protected from winter wind.

The planting area borders the property line and is approx 100 feet long and varying depth averaging 15 feet.Shade is varying,but is mostly dappled shade provided by slender oak trees that have been limbed up very high.

One variety that will be planted is Roseum Elegans.I am looking for various varieties.

Comments (14)

• lethean46
    13 years ago

Sounds like a perfect situation for Maximum Rhodo. It's a native that blooms in June/July.

The local nurseries here don't stock these Rhodos, but I found one that special orders them. Mine are a very nice size - perhaps 4' x 4'?

My site sounds similar to yours ... running 100' with varying depth and some shade. I also wanted some screening.

Until one of the pros comes along ... perhaps you could do a google search for "maximum rhodo"?

ML

• juanhanded
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ML,
    I was actually going to tell everyone that I was looking for hybrid rhodys,definately not Rhododendron Maximum.I am very familiar with Rhody Max,and may end up using them in the most densely shaded area.If it's flowers you're looking for,I wouldn't go with them,they don't seem to be reliable flowerers from year to year and their blooms are rather ordinary.The foliage is also large and droopy and open and would only consider them a background shrub,however,they can take some VERY dense shade. I have seen them 16 feet plus in dark shade,probably took 30 years to get there though.
    Any of the nursery stock I use will be 3 to 5 feet,balled and burlapped,I have easy access to anything I need.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

Given enough time, most rhododendrons will grow quite large, even those listed as semi dwarf - my oldest 'Boule de Neige' is at least 8' tall.

The American Rhododendron Society's website has an excellent listing of varieties that can be searched by 10 year height as well as blossom color, hardiness, etc. Z6b is pretty ideal, so you'lll have a great many choices.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

Using the ARS search engine you get:

Caractacus, 7 ft., -25 F, Red
    Lady Eleanor Cathcart, 7 ft., -15 F, Pink
    Mother of Pearl, 7 ft., -5 F, White
    Mount Everest, 7 ft., -5 F, White
    Professor Hugo de Vries, 7 ft., -5 F, Lavender
    Spicy Nutmeg, 7 ft., -20 F, Pink

Mount Everest gets it name from it size. It may be the tallest.

Here is a link that might be useful: ARS Rhododendron Finder

• juanhanded
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help.
    I don't know what to make of those 10 year heights,as I am going to plant with rather large nursery stock in the 3 to 5 foot range.I mean,how many years is that size stock considered?

I'm more interested in an ultimate height (not a 40 or 50 year height,something reasonable to plan for).I do not overplant,I give everything room to mature and plan accordingly.

Rhodyman,I see on your site,the Modern Ironclads,some classified as 6 feet plus.Have you personally observed those at heights greater than 8 feet?

I made a quick trip to the nearby Arboretum on Sunday.They have a shaded Rhododendron Walk with probably 2 acres of Shaded Rhododendrons.I'm going to see if I can hook up with the site horticulturist to see if they can identify varieties for me.I could only find one with signage identifying it as 'Vulcan'.

I think that Rhodys and Azaleas are the most challenging group of plants,because let's face it,the anticipation usually is better than the payoff.I place more weight on the other 50 weeks of the year when choosing.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

The best way is to go by the variety, not the size when you buy it. When you buy it, it could be 2 years old or 50 years old. You really can't be sure unless you know the variety. Many plants in my back yard are well over 10' tall, but they are in moderate shade, have had deer browse over the years, and they are about 40 years old. Most of them are considered to have a 10 year height of 5 feet. Some stay at the 10 year height and others keep going for the sky.

We used to describe the plantings around our yard as a rhododendron hedges since they are in long, relatively narrow beds. We started calling them a rhododendron forest since the plants are getting rather tall.

You can get plants with both good flowers and good foliage. You don't need to compromise. Many rhododendron listings such as Greer's give a rating such as 5/5 where the first number rates the flower on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 best and the second number rates the plant on the same scale. Greer also describes which plants tend to grow tall and vigorous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greer's rhododendron listings

• juanhanded
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rhodyman,thanks for the additional link,I have been using ARS and Hirsutum to gather some info along with whatever else I can find.
    I'm really trying to find some first hand information by someone that has grown or observed varieties that grow as large as I am looking for.There seems to be a lot of statistics out there,but very little helpful description.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

Harold Greer, of Greer Garadens, has grown nearly every rhododendron that exists in the trade.

He is in Eugene, Oregon. Rhododendrons grow differently in different climates, in different micro-climates within a climate zone, and with different exposures within a micro-climate. What I am saying, is that your next door neighbors can give you the most useful information. The rest is basically just generalities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greer Gardens Nursery in Eugene, Oregon

• juanhanded
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes,it would be easy to ask a neighbor,if they were Mr. and Mrs. Rhodyman,lol!

Unless I can find a local enthusiast,who has grown many cvs. for many years,it's going to be a bit tough to really plant with confidence.Even the large shrubs I see in my travels would be tough for me to identify out of flower,and I can bet that 70% of the larger hybrids that I see are 'Roseum Elegans',the most commonly sold Rhody in these parts.

I probably will be able to get some help at the local Arboretum (less than 5 miles from here).However,it is State run,most of the plantings date pre-1950 and it appears when they lose something or fill in,they do it by matching the old cultivars.They are not into creating new gardens too much.
    I think I will try to contact someone at the local ARS,and see if they can email me some ideas.
    Those Greer ratings, are they trustworthy as far as flower quality goes?What are they looking at for the rating?

• lethean46
    13 years ago

Have you looked at Rare Find Nursery?

www.rarefindnursery.com

You can order a catalogue from them for $5. They are located in northwest corner of NJ. Good descriptions and pics in the catalogue.

The inside cover has a wonderful pic of the gardens of the late Wm Zurick, MD. You should see that pic since you have 100' to cover. Looks like a wonderful garden.
    ML

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

Actually Rarefind Nursery is midway between Trenton and the New Jersey shore in centeral New Jersey. The address is 957 Patterson Road, Jackson, NJ 08527 which is just off I-195.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

The "Greer Ratings" are actually the American Rhododendron Society Rhododendron Quality Ratings. The system was started in 1955 and refined in 1965. They are described at:

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JARS/v18n1/v18n1-ratings.htm

They are based on the experiences of as many people as possible.

You do have a group of experts in your area. They are the members of the New York and Tappan Zee Chapters of the American Rhododendron Society. They have published their collective experience with their Proven Performer lists at:

http://www.rhododendron.org/performers7.htm

They also have a list of "Good Doers" for Long Island at:

http://www.nyrhododendron.org/Good-DoersforLongIsland.htm

But Harold Greer's website is the best place that I know to get the ARS Rhododendron Quality Ratings.

• juanhanded
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rhodyman,I am on Long Island and I sent an email to the chapter seeking some help.Their "Good Doers" list is huge.Like everyone else,they classify sizing on a 10 year height,5 or 6 feet being the highest.I'll narrow down the list to those and look at those more closely.Size,shade tolerance,flowering time and color are my priorities in that order.But,as you mentioned earlier,some varieties may top out at 10 year height while others keep going and going.
    They also have a meeting at an Arboretum in a week or so.I might try to catch it.

• gamekeeper
    13 years ago

Rarefind Nursery in Jackson,N.J. specializes in Rhodys and even offers Large grown plants if that is your need.I buy alot from them and find them Top Shelf.Anne is the in charge lady and ALL the staff has degrees in Horticulture.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH