Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I winterize my azaleas?

Posted by Miriah z5MI (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 8:06

Hello,
I have two small azaleas planted under my weeping white pine tree. Is it necessary to winterize them or are they pretty self sustaining? I have no idea what kind they are, they bloom the most beautiful lilac flowers in the spring, that's why I planted them. I must admit they haven't done much growing in the two years they have been in the ground. So now I am wondering if I am doing something, or not doing, I should be to promote growth.
Thanks in advance.
Miriah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I winterize my azaleas?

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 13:51

Miriah, azaleas/rhododendrons are not especially fast growing, and will often take two or three years in the ground to become well established.

Of course I don't have to worry about winter protection here, but it's my understanding that flower buds are about 10 degrees less hardy than growth buds....If your plants are blooming well and the flower buds are not being damaged by your winter temperatures, your azaleas may be getting all the protection they need under your pine.

o
RE: Do I winterize my azaleas?

Thank you. I have just started redoing this garden and since I am having a wedding at my place next year I want to make sure EVERYTHING is doing it's best. I will keep close watch of the temps this winter. If they dip real low I will throw some burlap around them if only to break the wind.
Miriah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here