Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandykay_gw

Neighbors trying to dictate azalea size!

sandykay
16 years ago

We have (literally) 70 feet of azaleas on our property that have grown out of control.They are 15ft high and about 20 feet wide. They grow outwards onto our neighbors property. The house is 28 years old and there was no maintainance for the 10 years before we bought it. We have been slowly working to put everything back together.

Well, I was pruning the Lugustrums, pittisporums that are just as big and the neighbors came running over and started to have a panic attack about the privacy. Gee, now I can barely see the back of their garage and service yard!

They want them to be a messy jungle and don't want us to prune them. All the while they are our plants.

I'm furious with them for coming on my side, and complaining about how I am destroying their privacy.....

I didn't get to the azaleas but they are next. Any advice? They are CONVINCED that anything I cut won't grow back.

Comments (10)

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

it's a decision for the owner of the shrubs - you can prune your plants to the ground if you want to (unless some part of a neighborhood covenant might come into play?). consider that you will be losing some privacy, though, and perhaps you won't like the view of their garage and service area (doesn't really sound attractive to me).
    azaleas can be severely pruned or selectively pruned and they will regrow. you will lose your flowers for next year if you prune now but, if you want a smaller or more dense hedge, cutting them back will accomplish that.
    do you just not like the looks of the shrubs?
    do they appear to be in decline or look unhealthy?
    i think they are impressive looking when they get to that size if site conditions permit.

• sandykay
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want to reduce the depth of them to reveal the original edging. The loss of the edge makes the yard look sloppy, I will also gain about 5-6 feet of additional backyard space. The height needs to be even as well.
    Really you cant see their house only spotty but it isnt the solid wall it was. I plant on planting new ligustrums to fill in the open spots and we will still have afternoon sun shining. I think they just got spoiled!
    Thanks

• dorisl
    16 years ago

Hey, They're YOUR bushes, eh?

Tell them to pay for a privacy fence.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Sandykay, did you have the opportunity to explain your goals to your neighbors? Of course, if they really were panicking, they may have been in no mood to listen :) And I have found myself in the position of having a neighbor like that - but I can tell you, being on good terms with the people living closest to you is a lot less stressful and rewarding.

Was privacy their only concern? While you certainly have every right to change/fine tune your landscaping, will reducing the size of your shrubs alter anything on their side? i.e.: Introduce more sun to a shade planting? Not reason enough to change your plans, but some warning may have been considerate so they could make plans themselves.

Are you very new to this yard and its plants, I can't tell from your post. Spring pruning is normally the time recommended for ligustrum and pittosporum, and as Jeff mentioned azaleas have already set their buds for next years blooms - pruning now removes the flowers for a year....could your project timing have contributed to their criticism?

• sandykay
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The neighbors have since apologized in person, very sincerely. They also left a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the doorstep this morning with a nice card.
    Mostly I was offended in the manner that they expressed themselves, we have always been considerate and have made them aware of our plans. Not to mention good friends who babysit each others children.
    Currently, we are redoing the irrigation and landscaping and I just couldn't stand the wild and out of bounds growth so I pruned it. I wasn't worried about the timing for the ligustrum or pittisporum. I pruned underneath so I can plant ferns! The ex president of the garden club next door (on the other side) said she had never seen them so big.
    Yes, we are new to the yard. We bought the house in 05 and no maintenance had been done for 10 years.
    As for timing and losing blooms, its on my side of the hedge and they shouldn't complain about my view! Their side is intact. That's what upset me, them trying to dictate the view from my side.
    Anyhow, its time to let it go. Life is too short. People are more important than plants. Our friendship will remain intact.

• botann
    16 years ago

Perhaps you could move the edging back.

• sandykay
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Back where?

• tnangela
    16 years ago

Such a complicated thing. Of course you have the right to cut anything on your property. I've had similar experiences except it is I who planted the privacy screen. The house next door to me became vacant and some homeless people set up camp in it to smoke crack. The windows were busted out, the city condemned it. I had enough when they started knocking on my door to borrow the phone to set up drug deals. I planted some fast growing bamboo between me and them. Now some five years later someone had bought the house and fixed it up, the city un-condemned it but now the new neighbors have to fight with extremely invasive bamboo. Sorry!!! The old guy behind me died and some red-neck inherited the place. They brought three pit-bulls with them. I was getting attacked taking out my trash. Called the police, they took two of them away. They got three more the same week (they own four now). They tied their dogs as close to my house as they could but let them free on the weekends when animal control isn't open...They killed my cat and bit me in my own yard. I'm about to get violent and physical and shoot their dogs when they come on my property. I've planted bamboo between them and me also.

• suel41452
    16 years ago

I can't imagine having the nerve to complain to neighbors on WHATEVER they do to their yards - I always assume it's their business! But I would remain as diplomatic as possible since you may have to live near these people for a long time. Having a falling out with neighbors can be extremely unnerving in the long run. I wouldn't change my plans, though.
    Whenever I do plantings anywhere near my elderly neighbors (they feel anything remotely near their fence is bad), I wait till they're gone heheh!! I'm tired of them complaining about more tree leaves to rake and the new trees aren't even near their yard!!!

• cybersal
    16 years ago

I'm sorry but where I come overgrown azaleas are a good thing and take A LONG time to get that way. We may pull them out (ouch) but hardly ever prune them (except when they completely cover windows). Yes, you do own the plants and have the right to keep them healthy, but I'd leave what was on their side of the boundry alone. Usually its the other way around - the non-owner cutting back escaping plants that have come into their yard. If they are forced to put up a privacy fence how far back would your plants have to be pruned. I would love to see the plants, I bet they are spectacular! The 2ft azaleas we planted at the old house in '71 are nearly 4ft high now. Good Luck what ever you decide.

Sponsored
Patrick Farley Architect
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Alexandria's Innovative Architectural Design Studio