Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmithwick_gw

PJM~Toppled over due to heavy snow

MSmithwick
12 years ago

I have a PJM that is going on 3 years old and recently, we had a bizarre (early) heavy snowfall that left my PJM's covered with heavy wet snow and toppled them to the ground. I typically have my shrubs covered for the Winter. I propped them back into place, however, one is still leaning a bit and the (very wet) soil makes it easy to move the root ball around. I have them back into place, however, I was wondering if there is damage to the roots themselves which will cause the shrubs to suffer in the Spring.

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I assure you that there is root damage, but whether or not your plant will suffer from the effects in the spring....only time will tell.

Plants have an amazing recuperative ability, but this is not a good time of year for them to demonstrate that. I'd strongly suggest that, come spring, you do not fertilize these shrubs with anything that will cause them to force a lot of excessive top growth. Instead, allow these shrubs to use their energy in growing a healthy new root system.

If lots of N fertilizer is employed, your shrubs will exhibit lots of new green, top growth at the expense of the root system recovery. They can't do both things at once.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Probably root-bound near the stem base due to careless container culture at the production facility. This is very common (pandemic) in my experience. It probably sat in a small pot too long before being moved up to a larger container. A tight knot or square of roots is still present near the base of the stem, dating back to this period. This causes the stem to wobble around even though there is a clump of more extensive, subsequently produced roots beyond the immediate vicinity of the stem.

• rhodyman
    12 years ago

There is probably some damage. I had the same problem a couple years ago with a long established plant. I created a tripod out of bamboo poles to hold the branch up and mulched the area where the root ball had tipped. It is doing just fine.

A wet root ball is not good. Drainage is very important to rhododendrons.

I am not sure about the reference to lots of nitrogen. Now is not the time for any nitrogen. And in the spring, very little is more than enough. But, what the posting was apparently trying to convey is that when the roots are stressed, any nitrogen will stimulate top growth which is not what you want.

Steve Henning
    Fleetwood, PA USA Zone 6

• MSmithwick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you-I have taken the shrub cover off and noticed that it is showing signs that it is going to bloom, however, a lot of the leaves have fallen off and compared to the PJM of the other side of the steps, it does indeed look stressed. Will the roots eventually get stronger and I won't have to worry about these shrubs toppling over due to unexpected snowfall? Both of the PJM's seem like they have a shallow root system-but again, I don't fully understand the anatomy of the shrubs. I am also worried that my landscaper didn't plant them deep enough....

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Rhododedrons and azaleas have a shallow rooting habit. When established, they will have a dense surface network of fine roots just under soil level that will extend out as far as the widest branches, think - almost like a large pancake. Those are the roots that feed and supply moisture with just a few larger anchoring roots growing too.

The general thought is that planting a little high is much better than too low. A rhododendron planted any deeper than it was growing in its nursery pot can easily die over a period of several months with the surface roots unable to function.

It may be early yet to know how yours is going to look with the arrival of Spring weather. I don't know if blown or pushed over with snow weight how many roots might have been damaged - it may take some time (with warmer than winter soils) for new roots to grow out into the soil and establish.

• rhodyman
    12 years ago

The roots will only do well if the soil conditions are suitable for them. That means they must not be too dry or too wet. It is best to mulch to prevent too dry and water during periods of drought. Only adequate drainage will prevent too wet. One way to get adequate drainage is with raised beds. Since the roots are very shallow, the bed doesn't need to be raised too much.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Definitely root-bound from their nursery days! You might just want to bite the bullet now and gently dig them out and cut 8-10 vertical slits with a box knife through the outer .5" what you will find is the original root ball. Replant in a raised bed, level with or slightly above soil level. They should start to grow a normal spreading root system and won't tip over again.

If they're in clay now, just throw in the towel. They need to be a well drained acidic soil with lots of organic matter. Top dress with lots of leaves every fall.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH