Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Best native for open woods in Kentucky

linrose
16 years ago

I would like to establish some native azalea plantings in a wooded area that we've been cleaning up and thinning to create a good place for native shrubs and woodland plants. I'd like to use some native azaleas but don't know which ones to choose. The azalea species that are native in our area are:

R. arborescens

R. calendulaceum

R. canescens

R. cumberlandense

R. periclymenoides

R. prinophyllum

along with our native rhodies:

R. catawbiense

R. maximum

R. minus

Ease of culture is probably the top priority. I can reach this area with a hose if need be. I'm incorporating lots of leaf mold into the soil, we've composted chopped leaves there for the past three years, but I haven't yet done a soil test to check pH. Our soil is a well-drained silty loam. I already established some other native shrubs, oak leaf hydrangea, clethra, fothergilla and winterberry as well as some ferns. Finding areas to plant between tree roots is a challenge. The upper story trees which we have limbed up are tulip poplar, black oak, hickory and persimmon with some mid story dogwood.

Also, if you know of good sources for natives east of the Mississippi please suggest some. I've looked at Meadowbrook (We-Du natives), Rare Find, Fern Gully, and Mountain Mist Nursery so far. I have no experience with any of them. Thanks!

linda

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath