Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mammaw123

Transplanting rhodedendron...

mammaw123
16 years ago

When is the best time? I live in zone 5/6 and this is a fairly large bush.

Comments (6)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Whenever the ground is not frozen. It is better when they are dormant such as late fall or early spring. Many people prefer fall since they then have the winter to recover before the roots have to support the plant in hot weather. However, with care, rhododendrons, which are very shallow-rooted. can be transplanted anytime. If they are transplanted in spring, more care must be taken about watering them. That can be tricky in summer because too much water is bad, but too much water in hot weather can be deadly. Hot weather promotes root rot in plants which don't have adequate drainage. Root rot is generally fatal.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• chester_grant
    16 years ago

I have had to move some rhodies to make way for some Norway Spruces - with this warm weather the ground is not fozen and planting can be done. But what about watering the transplanted rhodies during the rest of the winter? Once the ground is frozen thats it I guess. Will the rhodies suffer?

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Yes. Watering in winter is one of the most critical times. The trick is to not do anything that will cause the plant to break dormancy and keep them watered anytime the ground thaws out. You don't want to create an ice cube, but you don't want dust either. After transplanting in winter or in full sun, I will shield the sides of the plant with burlap to protect it from wind burn and sun burn.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• billwags325
    15 years ago

Rhodyman, I have been reading this thread and checked out your link as we need to transplant two very mature (30yrs) rhodys this spring. Unfortunately, we will not be able to do the advance prep of tightening the rootball as is suggested. Do you feel that we can still have a chance of sucess and go forward with the move? Thanks!

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Sure, you should be able to do it. You will just need a much bigger root ball. Actually on very mature plants the "root ball" is actually very large in diameter (out to the drip line) and very thin. However, it is not practical to dig up such a large thin root ball so people actually dig a very large conical shaped root ball. At the Rhododendron Species Foundation, they had to move most of their large plants and they found a way to sandwich the root ball between two shipping pallets and move them with a front end loader. The goal is to not loose any of the small hair-like roots. They are the ones the plants uses.

• billwags325
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. We will make sure that the professionals we will hire can do as described.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?