Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Just bought some Encore Azaleas and...

carrie630
16 years ago

wondered - Here are the three I bought:

"Autumn Debutante" ... "Autumn Sweetheart" and "Autumn Carnation"

It says "full sun" - is that possible? I really hope so because they will be getting at least six hours of afternoon sun.

Thanks

Carrie

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Carrie, I always hesitate to respond to questions about full sun by growers who actually experience sun - compared to my own mild climate. But,

"Encore Azalea® perform best in full sun to light, filtered shade. A minimum of four to six hours of direct sunlight per day is required for proper blooms. Care must be taken to prevent exposure to drought or other heat related stress conditions associated with full sun exposure. Mulch well around the base of the plant to cover roots, hold in moisture, and protect root ball from sun."

Older threads on the Southern Gardening forum seem to confirm this :) Your site sounds good, just don't confuse sun tolerant with drought tolerant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Gardening - Encores

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

From the Encore website:

Autumn Debutante (Rhododendron Hybrid) Although the plant itself grows to a moderate mature size, the blooms and leaves of the Autumn Debutante are strikingly big and broad. The luster of the dark green leaves contrasts well with the delicate, light pink flowers, making a beautiful landscape statement.
    Growing & Maintenance Tips: This plant prefers slightly acidic, well-drained soil.
    Bloom Color - Light pink
    Arbor Day Hardiness Zones 7, 8, 9, 10
    Height: 4 feet
    Spread: 4 feet
    Bloom Span: 3 inches across
    Bloom Form: Single

Autumn Carnation (Rhododendron Hybrid) Now gardeners can enjoy the rich medium pink blooms made popular by the blooms seen once a year on the Pink Ruffle azalea. The exceptional flower quality, color and lustrous dark green foliage make this variety an excellent landscape addition.
    Growing & Maintenance Tips:
    This plant prefers slightly acidic, well-drained soil.
    Bloom Color - Medium pink
    Height: 4.5 feet
    Bloom Span: 2.5 inches across
    Bloom Form: Double

Autumn Sweetheart (Rhododendron Hybrid) Autumn Sweetheart offers two shades of color. The pink flowers are so soft they sometimes appears almost white. Dotted with lavender freckles, the tantalizing blooms provide the perfect adornment for the rich evergreen foliage. The growth habit and striking color combination make this variety well suited for foundation planting.
    Growing & Maintenance Tips:
    This plant prefers slightly acidic, well-drained soil.
    Bloom Color - Soft pink to almost white blossoms with lavender freckles
    Height: 4 feet
    Bloom Span: 2.5 inches across
    Bloom Form: Single

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

While I appreciate both of your posts, I did indeed see those when I searched the internet - but my worry is that six hours of hot sun (in the 90s/100s) in the South may just be a bit much for azaleas. I decided to plant them in borders that get a bit of shade (not too much). Thanks

Carrie

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

'Bit of shade' may work out for you, but did you notice in the linked thread there were two NC gardeners growing them who were happy with their perfomance in full sun? (Rouge = Encore Azalea Autumn Rouge)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Yours should be just fine. Did you also notice that people in Oklahoma and Texas are growing them in temperatures in the 100s? Here is the advice they gave them:

"Encore azaleas fare well in a site that faces north or east. The best sites are wooded and located next to a building, which affords azaleas ample morning light while protecting them from the harsh afternoon sun. In Texas and Oklahoma, all azaleas need shade, but will not flower well in full shade."

When we get temperatures that hot, the plants go semi-dormant for a period. They still require water, but not as much as you would think if the ground is properly mulched. Their leaves wilt in the heat of the day but recover at night. That is normal. If they are wilted in the morning, then they are too dry.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

great info - rhodyman - Definitely helpful, thanks

Carrie

Sponsored