Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msb7

deciduous azaleas

msb7
15 years ago

Can anyone suggest a peachy (yellow/pink) colored deciduous azalea for zone 5b (Northern Westchester county, NY)? I generally have very bad luck keeping my deciduous azaleas alive.

Comments (7)

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

You don't have many options. I found a couple.

Greer Gardens in Eugene, OR, has:

ÂMemory of Fred Galle  (Kerr) This mid August bloomer is yellow-pink in bud opening to a broadly funnel shaped flower that is apricot with a yellow dorsal flare and yellow throat. A fitting memorial to Fred Galle.

ÂSalmon Delight  (ÂPink Delight x KlondikeÂ) Blossoms are a bright pink, flushed with yellow-pink. Upright habit, leaves turn yellow, tinged with orange in the fall.

All of the deciduous azaleas are alike in their need for moist well-drained, acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.5) that has been well supplemented with peat moss or leaf mold. Azaleas will grow in full sun or light shade, but light shade is preferable in hot areas. Pruning is almost never required.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greer Gardens

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

I'm not sure if it completely meets your color criteria, but interesting and on the Proven Performers ARS list for your New York Zone 5 -

Azalea ÂMount Saint Helens  (Girard, Exbury type) Large, rose-pink trusses from deep rose buds. Once open, the flowers display upper petals with large yellow-orange flares that gradually deepen to bright rose-orange. The flower has a tricolor appearance of pink/yellow/orange and is not only showy but also fragrant

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    15 years ago

How about R. 'Golden showers'? I'm not sure if it's classified as a rhody or an azalea since I'm not up on the technical differences, but it is quite peachy, despite the name. I thought it would be more yellow when I bought it, but I do like it. It blooms late, in July in MA, ME, and NH. It's fully hardy here, so if its soil and moisture requirements can be met, you shouldn't have problems growing it.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

It is a deciduous azalea from Weston Nursery. It appears to be an excellent choice.

Technically classified as rhododendrons, azaleas are generally more floriferous but have less impressive foliage. Typically non-azalea rhododendrons are evergreen and have flowers that are in trusses (a truss is a flower-like structure composed of many flowers). Typically an azalea is either evergreen with flowers singly rather than in a truss or are deciduous and may have flowers singly or in a ball-shaped truss.

If flowers grow from terminal buds, new leaves and shoots grow from lateral buds and leaves are deciduous, then the rhododendron is an azalea in the Pentanthera subgenus. (Deciduous Azaleas)

If flowers and leaves grow from the same terminal buds, and the flowers have 5 to 10 stamens, then the rhododendron is an azalea in the Tsutsusi subgenus. (Evergreen Azaleas)

Here is a link that might be useful: Deciduous Azalea

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

The link in the previous post was to Deciduous Azalea "Golden Showers". Apparently the quoted part got clipped. Here is a photo from that website:

{{gwi:400204}}
    Deciduous Azalea 'Golden Showers'

• toucanjoe
    15 years ago

How about ' Arnesons Gem'

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

{{gwi:400205}}
    Arneson's Gem [photo courtesy of Tijs (pron. as 'Tice') Huisman at http://www.rhodoland.nl/home_en.htm

Arneson's Gem also comes in a dwarf form: ÂArneson Little GemÂ. This is the identical twin to ÂArnesons Gem in all attributes except height. This dwarf form is less than 2' after 15 years!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida