Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lameri_gw

Do azaleas have root diseases?

lameri
16 years ago

Hello,

I had a beautiful azalea that flowered in May. It was in a pot and doring great since June of last year. In summer, its leaves started to have an unhealthy color, and then the whole plant turned brown. Nothing really changed in its environment. At the end of September I was pleased to see some growth (tiny green leaves popping from the branches). My joy didn't last long: those leaves started to turn brown again within a week.

I am usually good with plants, and I know about bugs and funghi, but this thing must have something else inside it, nothing visible.

Today, a squirrel was reaching down to its roots. I immediately scared away the squirrel, but then I looked to see what could possibly interest the squirrel, and wondered if it's the same treasure that interests a worm or something like that. I approached the whole and so tiny worm-like threads. A closer look shows it's not worms, it's like roots, but unlike the others, browned by the soil, these are as white as it can get. What is this?

Thanks!

Comments (3)