Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sudden & Total Yellowing of Azalea Leaves

Posted by lawmur Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 26, 09 at 16:05

Suddenly, all four of my mature azaleas have yellowed. Maybe 20% of the leaves in late October. I have never seen this before. I'm sure this is not chlorosis and I see no sign of lace bugs. Some of the leaves remain green on the tips but their is no veining.

Has anyone experienced this? Better yet, does anyone have an idea what the cause is?

Thanks, LawMur

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sudden & Total Yellowing of Azalea Leaves

Like all evergreen plants, evergreen azaleas periodically lose some of their foliage, and the leaves may turn yellow, red, or purple before they fall. Often the only leaves that remain are those that surround the flower buds at the tips of the branches. This characteristic is linked to the genetics of the parents used to breed garden azaleas. The degree of leaf coloration or loss is a function of parentage and not the severity of the winter. In unusually cold winters, certain azaleas may lose more leaves than they would in mild winters.

All of the evergreen azaleas are native to Asia. They appear to be evergreen because they grow two sets of leaves each year. Evergreen azaleas have dimorphic leaves, known as spring leaves and summer leaves. The spring leaves unfold at the beginning of the growing season and are dropped in autumn. Summer leaves emerge in early summer and are smaller, thicker, darker, and more leathery than spring leaves. They remain on the plant during the dormant period and drop in the spring, however, summer leaves may persist for several years in warm climates. Some "evergreen" azaleas are deciduous in colder climates. Sometimes this is called being semievergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here