Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cunningham's whites stressed

Posted by veryzer 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 17:20

I planted two cunningham's whites in the spring and they did relatively well all year. We've had a bit of a cold snap with the temp. dropping to about 15 degrees and their leaves are starting to roll. This isn't typical is it? I have about an inch of mulch around them and they are pretty well protected from the wind. I appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cunningham's whites stressed

This is 100% typical. The leaves should roll when it is cold and unroll when it gets warmer. It is their way to keep from loosing water through the pores (stomata) in the back surface of the leaf.

Make sure the mulch isn't touching the trunk. If it is, it increases the chances voles will girdle the plant. Mulch should be kept back an inch or two from the trunk.

If you have a dry winter, be sure to water the rhodies if and when the soil thaws out. Cunningham's white is tough, but they have the most stress in the winter when exposed to winter sun and winter winds. The curling of the leaves is their protection from this stress.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o

Thanks Rhodyman. I have a bottle of Wilt-Pruf. Should I apply this as added insurance or is there a potential downside?

o

I would wait until the ground freezes before applying Wilt-Pruf. Wilt-Pruf last about half the winter so should be reapplied half way through.

It should reduce the amount of winter burn which is a browning of the edges of some leaves.

Winter Burn

o

returning to GardenWeb after a few years away. it seems harder to post a photo with a question. I've tried in Azalea forum and I've tried in Gallery. Things have changed. How to I post a photo along with a question?
Thanks. If you can direct me to the FAQ, that's great too.

o

Hi Dean,

The photo you saw posted above your posting was posted with the following statement.

< img src="http://www.rhodyman.net/images/windburn.jpg">

without the space between the "<" and "img". The photo needs to be posted on the internet and have a web address which in the above case was "http://www.rhodyman.net/images/windburn.jpg". Most ISP's have space where you can post a photo or you can use a free service such as:

www.flickr.com
www.kodakgallery.com
www.shutterfly.com
travel.webshots.com
www.photobucket.com

I am not aware of a FAQ for gardeweb, however over many years I have created my own FAQ for Rhododendrons and Azaleas. It is at:

Henning's Rhododendrons and Azaleas

Enjoy

Cheers, Steve Henning, Reading, PA USA Zone 6

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here