Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing new plants?

Posted by grow-anything 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 17:26

I rooted several hundred azaleas this spring that are doing well. I also have some other hollies and evergreens that are all looking good too. I now have them in an umheated greenhouse and am watering them weekly. Can I move them outside so they will get natural rain water through the winter, or do they need to stay in the greenhouse? I am in zone 7 and don't know what I should do with them through the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing new plants?

They need very little water in the winter. If they are exposed to sun and wind when they roots are frozen they will dehydrate fairly easily. For that reason most commercial nurseries keep their young plants in hoop houses that are not heated and are prepared to water a couple times during the winter if things warm up.

They should have been moved out during the summer so they would be hardening off. I doubt that at this late date you will be very successful at hardening them off. A closed green house gets rather warm on sunny days and together with the frequent watering will keep the plants in an active growth state. If there is no small young growth, I would chance moving them out and hope for the best. If there is small young growth you may loose it if you move them out now.

o
RE: Winterizing new plants?

Thanks, I think they do have a little new growth on them, but not much. I have a fan blowing on them for air movement and it looked like they were very healthy at this time. This is a 10 X 18 hoop house I built just for rooting etc. I have a mist system in it that used for watering. I moved all the rooted plants to the floor and will just leave them there for the winter. I have had the door and end vent windows open for the past several days with the fan on them constantly. I was hoping that would help with the hardening off issue. I do have a smaller heated GH, but didn't plan to put them in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here