Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Azalea 'Karen' pics, spring and fall

tepelus
13 years ago

In 2007, I picked up two 'Karen' azaleas from Lowe's because, well, of the name! LOL! And, it bloomed pretty purple flowers, my favorite color. Well, one survived and it took me two years before I found a replacement for the second one. I didn't know anything really about the plants, until I did some research and discovered they are semi-evergreen in my zone, meaning it'll drop most of its leaves except the ones at the tips. But I hadn't realized that it got such beautiful fall foliage, along with the pretty flowers. So I wanted to show you pictures of my azaleas:

The first one is of the 'Karen' I bought in '07, on May 6 of this year:

{{gwi:400386}}

Same azalea, but in its fall plumage, on 11-13-10:

{{gwi:400387}}

And this is of the second one bought last year. No blooms this year, but I'm sure it'll bloom next spring. It's pretty fall plumage:

{{gwi:400389}}

I've never had very good luck with rhodies and azaleas, but I'm glad I picked up my Karen's, because they are doing really well for me.

Karen

Comments (3)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

The color is electric. It looks really wonderful with your variegated plant.
    Renee

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

I agree; it looks very nice. Another one that I like for fall foliage is Christmas Cheer. It looks similar to your Karen's fall photos (blooms red though).

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

However, Christmas Cheer (or Ima-shojo) wouldn't do as well in Ohio as Karens. Karens is hardy to -25F and Christmas Cheer is hardy to 0F. BIG difference.

As far as I know, Karens is the only registered evergreen azalea hardy to -25F.

Some hardy to -20F include: Bixby, Helen Curtis, Hino-red, Hino-white, and Marie's Choice. But, none of these have the nice winter foliage color like Karens. Probably the next hardiest to Karens is Stewartstonian which is a red azalea with great wine-red winter foliage and hardy to -15F.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting