Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm an optimist... replanted hacked-out azaleas

Posted by lipwak 6/NY (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 19:40

Hi,

My landlady had some guy rip out a bunch of azaleas that she didn't like anymore. I wanted to transplant them but wasn't able to dig them up; it was too hard. So, her friend came by and somehow got them out of the ground and lay them on the side of the driveway about a week or two ago. They are still green. As I cleaned things up today, I moved them over to a spot I like and stuck them in the ground. We've had LOTS of rain lately so the soil was extremely moist and it was easy to get them in.

Is there ANY chance any of them will surprise me by surviving? I will go look for the root balls of the three plants tomorrow but what I've planted today are pruned branches.

If they don't take I won't be disappointed but if any of them do, I'd be so happy.

I'm an optimist who has been pleasantly surprised before.

Cheers,

John L

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm an optimist... replanted hacked-out azaleas

It sounds like you tried to stick cuttings hoping they would root. If they were evergreen azaleas and the cuttings were fresh, then some of them may root. Since they weren't fresh, I doubt that you will have much luck.

If they are deciduous azaleas, I doubt if you can get any of the cuttings to root.

If the leaves were green and soft, then there is a good chance the ones with root balls will make it. If they were getting crisp and still green, then they are in trouble. If they show signs of struggling, then you can help them along by removing flower buds before they bloom and cutting them back. Watch closely when the weather is dry so that they don't dry out. Also make sure there is good drainage. They can not stand wet roots or dry roots. It must be moist and well drained.

o
RE: I'm an optimist... replanted hacked-out azaleas

Thanks for the reply. They are evergreens so there may be some hope but they were lying around cut for at least two weeks so they probably take a long time to lose their green. (I see some other evergreens I cut last year, still looking green in the brush pile!)

All I can be is surprised if they root. I'm looking forward to it but not expecting it.

Thanks for again for the reply!

Cheers,

John L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here