Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting Rhody - cold or ??

Posted by OregonEd 8 - Portland, OR (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 0:16

Hi all-

One of our rhodies has been wilting worse and worse over the past 7-10 days.

We have about ten various rhododendron in our yard. We were not in this house last winter, so I don't know how the plants behave over winter time.

I thought this rhody needed water because it is on a good draining slope. I watered it on Thanksgiving one week ago.

Our fall temperatures have been mild until recently. Highs in 50's, lows in 40's.

This week we dropped into the 30's and lows lately in the 20's and upper teens. That is cold for us here in Portland.

So here are pictures. Any idea what is happening to my large rhododendron?

Thanks,
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting Rhody - cold or ??

Second picture.
Also, I do not know the variety.

o

Rhodies look wilted for several reasons.

One is that they're dry. The other is that they're cold.

You can determine which it is with your rhody if you watch it during the day. A cold rhody will "recover" -- ie: not appear wilted -- during the warmth of the day.

That said, here, last night's low was 15, today's high 32. (Brrr) My several rhodies were "wilted" all day. (No chance for them to warm up.!)

o

Rhododendron varieties vary in their response to cold. All will roll their leaves to a greater or lesser degree once the temperature drops below freezing, but the speed and extent of "unrolling" once the air temperature goes above 32 degrees can vary quite a bit. Thus you may have some rhododendrons that look perfectly normal once it warms while others will stay at least partially rolled. If there's any question about dryness, check around the roots, but I would bet that cold temperatures are the cause.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 4:41

As indicated you can tell how cold it is by how rolled up rhododendrons are - they do this to reduce the surface area presented to the air when the root zone is frozen. If the shrub shown doesn't open up after the non-frosty weather comes in a few days, and stays rolled up then you know there is a problem.

o

Thanks everyone!

As the temps got colder over the last week, other rhododendrons in my yard have also curled up.

Both the Rhodies and I are looking forward to increasing temps later this week :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here