Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Un planted Azalea, What should I do?

Posted by hostalover360 4-NW Wis (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 0:59

I am seeking some suggestions one what to do. I have a unplante "Girard's Hot Shot" Azalea in a pot, it came in a 5 inch pot and I repotted it into a 10 inch pot over the summer.

I thought that becuase we are in zone 4 it would not be a good idea to plant outside, but now I'm thinking I might have made a misstake when I didn't! now I have a potted azalea and I'm unsure what to do. I did leave it outside all fall so new growth did harden off. We have an un heated garage, should I put it here after wrapping some protection around the pot? What do you think my best option is?

I also have the same problem with a potted White Spruce Tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Un planted Azalea, What should I do?

Maybe I shouldn't reply to this, since I'm in z8 and have not gardened in your climate. But I would dig a hole in the garden, stick in the pots, backfill and cover them with a deep mulch (straw, hay, etc) to act as insulation. An unheated garage would be very cold, even with some insulation around the pots.

o

Oh, I can definitly tell you not even close to my climate LOL, you see, Thats a great idea, but, the ground is frozen and even covered with a half inch of snow, Were having highs in the mid 20s and lows in the teens. It is after all December in Wisconsin.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 5, 09 at 11:36

Upper Midwest Rhododendron Chapter:
"The potted plants can be placed in a garage, potting shed, or basement provided there is sufficient light to keep them alive. They cannot survive in the dark. Artificial lighting can also be successful, much the same as germinating seeds. In all cases, water as necessary, not excessively.
Generally, storing the plant in a potting shed with sufficient light, unheated, will gain 15-20 degrees, as compared to the outside temperature."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here