Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_rose_gw

Looking for 2 native species

georgia-rose
15 years ago

R. eastmanii (Santee/May-white Azalea) and R. colemanii (Red Hills Azalea). A recently described species from the Upper Coastal Plain of Southern AL and SW GA.

Google turned up a few references for R. eastmanii, but when checking the nurseries, they aren't listed in their website catalogs. The RSF lists it as available, but has no price quoted.

Have found no source yet for R. colemanii

Anyone know of a reliable nursery that has either or both species? at a reasonable price, of course!

My regular sources of the native species, Lazy K & Woodlanders, has neither yet.

TIA for your help!

Happy New Year!

Comments (11)

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

georgia-rose

One suggestion is to go to the Azalea Society of America and repeat your request there.

First click on:

Azalea Society of America

Then click on "ask us" and email your question. People will directly email their answers. Just about everyone there has colmanii and eastmanii.

When looking on the internet you can look in several places:
    deciduous azalea
    rhododendron species
    native azalea

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

The RSF is selling eastmanii ÂNewberry White A relatively newly described native azalea that is very rare in the wild and in gardens. An excellent selection of this deciduous species with fragrant, white flushed pink flowers in late spring. (Â5\R1\5) RSBG#2004/201 for $11.00.

• georgia-rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Rhodyman!
    Since posting here, I have spoken with a friend that happened to have R. colemanii and will pick those up in Feburary.
    Am going to Woodlanders on Monday or Tuesday and will check with them about R. eastmanii. I have a feeling that they are propagating those, but aren't listing them online.
    If not, I will order from the RSF.
    I hope to keep them alive in pots, until we get a break from our severe to exceptional drought situation and draconian outdoor watering restrictions.
    Thanks again for your help!

BTW, are you a member of the Chapter that hosts the display at THE Flower Show each year? We have been working at the show for the past eleven years and always enjoy the Rhodie display.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

I belong to the Valley Forge Chapter. The Philadelphia chapter hosts the ARS exhibit at the Philadelphia Flower Show. We help them.

Good luck with your plants.

• split
    15 years ago

georgia- ROSE: Newbie / older member here. Not sure of correct way to add a PIC.? Do not see a way to Direct message members.? We may be NOrth of you near Chattanooga & learn more / share these tall bloomers. Have solid WHITE on another hillside. e-mail if allowed LForget@Lococo.org

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:400589}}

• razorback33
    15 years ago

split...
    Not sure how webshot works, but uploading photos from Photobucket is simple.Here's your photo copied into Photobucket and uploaded to this message.
    {{gwi:400594}}

That's a fine specimen of what appears to be R. canescens, an early blooming species.
    Rb

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

To post a picture from webshots is easy also:

{{gwi:400589}}

Just insert the line:

without the space between "
    where URL is the webshots internet address of the photo or any address of a photo.

Again, remove the space between the "To send email is easy also. Just click on the person's username at the top of their posting. That takes you to their profile. At the top of the profile page click on:

"Send me an email"

And, if they allow email, you will be able to send them email.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Split,

You do not allow Private Messages to be sent to you by email so it is not possible to Direct Message you. If you want direct messages, when in a forum such as the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum, go to the very top of the page just to the right of the iVillage Garden Web logo and click on:

"Your Profile"

Then, after you log in, on your profile page, just above the bottom place a check mark before the statement:

Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

You do not need to make your email public to do this. Your email is still confidential. But if you do send a private message, your email address is included with the message.

By the way, it should be the Azaleas and Other Rhododendrons Forum. All azaleas are rhododendrons, but not all rhododendrons are azaleas.

• georgia-rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhodyman
    Thought I would post an update about my quest for R. eastmanii.
    Woodlanders was closed when I arrived to pick up an order, but they had left the plants near the potting shed, so I was able to pick them up. Left the question about R. eastmanii and received an answer yesterday. They are propagating the plant, but all are small now. They usually sell those in gal. size and should be ready later this year.
    Was a relief for me, since I checked with the RSF and found that packing & shipping charges was a KILLER!
    Maybe justified for an extremely rare species, that is nowhere else available, but I will have to wait on a local source, for this one. I'm pinching pennies right now, since the cost of necessities are rising at an alarming rate around here. Gasoline prices have risen 22¢/gal during past week and still rising!
    Thanks for your help!

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

georgia..if you are going to the flower show this weekend you could check lazy k nurserys mailorder list and they will bring whatever you want to the show for you to buy there

• georgia-rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, bobbygil

Ernest was at the Southern Gardening Symposium at Callaway Gardens and I purchased a number of Native Azaleas from him there. He is not propagating R. eastmanii yet, so I will have to wait on the ones at Woodlanders. We are working on a project in Charleston and make frequent trips near their nursery, so it will be no problem picking them up, when they are released.
    Will you be attending the SEFS this year? Friends working there say it's smaller this year. It's a long drive for me, so I probably will skip it.
    Thanks for helping!