Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azelea pruning

Posted by paulsmith 27517 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 10:56

I have some large azelea in front ot the house I would like to trim back...may I do this now...? I know the spring is the better time to prune them but i am afraid an ice storm might damage the plants this winter if they are to tall and thin...also they are blocking a walk way...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azelea pruning

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 11:32

You are sacrificing next Springs blooms if you prune now - they have set their flower buds and winter pruning would remove those.

If you do have an ice storm and damage, then removing anything broken or jagged is recommended.

o

There is nothing wrong with pruning now except the removing next springs flowers which Morz8 explained. Azaleas can be pruned anytime. The recommended time is immediately after they bloom so you don't remove the next season's flower buds. Other than that, prune anytime. The Japanese prune 12 months of the year because neat and tidy trumps flowers. Most Americans would rather have the flowers.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 25, 08 at 13:45

I would move them so they aren't in the way of the walk.
(I landscaped and did yard makeovers for 30 yrs.)
You can also prune individual branches that are in the way of the walk or the ones liable to catch more ice and snow than they can carry.
Shearing would be my last choice this time of year. Maybe shearing them right after they bloom would be an alternative.

o

When can you move azaleas? I have a couple that I want to plant elsewhere.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 11:39

In a gardening Zone 8, you can move them just about any time the ground is not frozen and they are not in active growth. The period of active growth is immediately after bloom when the new foliage buds are opening.

Just be careful not to replant any deeper than they were originally growing, mulch the root zone with something organic to conserve moisture and to help keep the soil cool in coming months.

(My own coastal Z8 garden soil, while not frozen, is much too wet to dig now - spading would ruin the soil structure.)

o

Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here