Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnangela

Anyone elses Rhodos blooming Mid-DEC?

tnangela
16 years ago

Mine are. So are my gardenias and roses. Also my March blooming camellia Japonicas are blooming along with my fall blooming Sasanquas (which makes for some interesting cross possibilities). I left the pictures full resolution so that the camera's date tag could be read for proof.

{{gwi:400728}}

{{gwi:400729}}

Record breaking temperatures. Persistent high pressure and drought and when you look up, all you can see day in and day out is this (if you can see blue sky at all which is rare).

{{gwi:347444}}

or check out my videos of this weather modification spraying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zocEQXHcLus

Comments (6)

• botann
    16 years ago

You don't list where you are so it doesn't mean much.
    Does tn in front of angela mean Tennessee? Eastern or western? It makes a difference.
    I have a few roses blooming here in western Wa.

• tnangela
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Athens TN (zone 6B). Usually roses are defoliated by now and in winter dormancy, but everything is screwed up. Who has ever heard of gardenias blooming in december outside in zone 6b?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    16 years ago

It's close to 70ºF here today and I have every window in the house open. This time last week the schools were closed for two snow days and the temperaure got down into the teens.

The weather is schizophrenic!!

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

I started a thread called Late Bloomers because I have a blooming Encore Azalea. In addition to a newly blooming hydrangea (yes, another bloom started this late) and in addition to some of my December Sasanquas and Japonicas (Kanjiro and Pearl Maxwell). Same thing with the roses; just took some to my sister. This is SOOO Weird.

In the post, I mentioned that N.O.A.A. forecasted mild weather for the mid section of the country so perhaps this is what should be going on.

Mid November is when the first hard freeze should hit here and everytime we approach 32 degrees, the temps never get to the forecasted low. Some of the semi tropicals have started reacting to the light/etc but only the trees have gone dormant enough to loose 75% of the trees. The hydrangeas are fully dark green.

Our forecasted low for tomorrow night is close to 34. We will see.... Good luck getting your plants to reach dormancy soon in TN. But also wish for: no ice! no ice!

Luis

• Central_Cali369
    16 years ago

Im in zone 9b in central california and this is usually when my azaleas bloom. the camellias dont bloom until january. Roses bloom year round, but look ugly and overgrown by dec so i cut them back at this time. My gardenias dont bloom because they dont like their soil, but theres huge gardenia bushed elsewhere that are happy and blooming right now. other things that are in bloom right now include hostas, verbena, allysum, citrus, pelargonium, wax begonias, tropical hibiscus (although the blooms are small due to cool weather), plumbago, cape honeysuckle, marigolds, and my favorite - tibouchina urvilleana. This one likes cool weather a lot and drops all of its flower buds in hot weather. All of these were taken today Dec 20.
    {{gwi:65069}}
    This photo is blurry but it shows the vivid red flower buds and the vibrant purple blooms
    {{gwi:65068}}
    And another shot- nice constrast with the greens
    {{gwi:65070}}

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Consistent fall bloomers in gardens here have including 'Yellow Hammer' and 'Elizabeth'. These may have a substantial premature opening in October. 'Rosamundi' and 'Christmas Cheer' (note the name) are often seen flowering during winter, and planted with that behavior in mind.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus