Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When should I trim Azaleas or should I ?

Posted by rolacoy 8 near Shreveport (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 11:48

I have about 60 Encore Asalea bushes across the back of my yard. They were planted 2 1/2 years ago. I they have never done very well, some are in the Sun and some in the shade. We have never seen much difference in the shaded ones and the ones in the Sun.

They did not bloom from about July to November, they are all blooming now. They are about 24" tall, but very limbey. I would like to trim them back to about 16". Flat across the top and front, thinking that they might bush out and be fuller. I am not really worried about cutting off buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When should I trim Azaleas or should I ?

• Posted by rolacoy 8 near Shreveport (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 17:24

Here are some pictures, look under.

Azalea Bushes

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Bushes

o
RE: When should I trim Azaleas or should I ?

Azaleas that grow like this may not be getting enough sun or may be getting uneven soil moisture. Four hours of morning sun would be the least I would try to give them. I would try not to have periods of dry and wet soil on the top 4" of soil.

Azaleas can be pruned anywhere in the stems and they will grow new stems so feel free to prune now if buds are not an issue. Pruning after they bloom but before July is best for most. Encores can be pruned at any time although they should rarely need pruning if grown in an area where they can grow to their size at maturity.

Another suggestion: maintain about 3-4" of acidic mulch, such as pine needles mulch. It helps keep the soil evenly moist and reduces he frequency of waterings. Check that your soil drains well (it should if they all grow in raised beds) and that its soil pH is acidic. Note: clay soil should not be used in the raised beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here