Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kara_anemone

Helping a Tahitian Dawn Rhodie---Prune Now?

kara_anemone
17 years ago

Hello,

I have been given a Tahitian Dawn Rhododendron from one of my gardening clients who was going to throw it away. It suffered some drought and too much shade and has never really bloomed for her. There are some buds forming, and it is supposedly a late (May) bloomer. My question is, being relatively new to Rhodie care, should I prune it back, sacrificing the buds to encourage new healthy growth, or see if these buds will actually bloom come May, then prune? I have read that some particular varieties do not have dormant buds that will respond to this pruning, but I don't know much about this variety. I have found zero information in Sunset about this particular variety...it's not even in there! It has been transplanted into a large peat pot, given some root booster and soil amendment, and moved to a sunnier place at my house.

Thanks for you help!

Comments (3)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Kara - if it's been recently dug and transplanted into a container, I think if it were mine I would keep it moist (not soggy) and wait until Spring or after bloom to prune....it's been stressed already.

The rhododendrons that don't respond well to pruning are primarily the Falconeri series, also Thompsonii series, and a few named varieties...From what I can find, your Tahitian Dawn has parentage of Lem's Cameo and Skipper, not among those that resent pruning.

Greer's describes it as approx 5' at maturity, hardy to 5F, trusses held over large dark green leaves on an upright plant....sounds pretty.

Had you planned to leave it containerized or install it in your garden - I personally don't have good luck with peat pots and find them either too wet, or too dry (they can actually draw the water from the potting medium). The best potting medium for rhododendrons is porous but with good water retention...that means very high in organic content. (or, gardens centers may carry one called Azalea mix which works very well).

• kara_anemone
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info! I think I am going to enjoy the project of bringing this plant back to optimum health. It's about 3' tall now. I am a renter, so if I decide to plant it in the garden, I won't be able to take it with me if/when I move. I'm thinking of planting it in a wine barrel and adding the necessary soil amendment to help it thrive (the peat pot being the temporary transportation method). This way, I figure I can control the environment a little more closely (ie., soil acidity, or move it if it's not getting the proper light) and have it in my 'collection' until I eventually buy a house. (In the Bay Area, that will be either when I am 65 or after the big earthquake.)
    Any ideas as to why Sunset has no listing? Is it too new a hybrid?

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

There are far more kinds of rhododendron out there than can be fit into the Western Garden Book, if that's the Sunset publication you were asking about. To make it grow better give it good care instead of whacking it back. I'd check for weevils (any notching of the leaves?) around the crown and rotting of the roots due to Phytophthora (something that seems pretty likely).

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH